Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD BURNING PROBLEMS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I want to make a backup of my DVD collection. Not to sell them or anything like that! I live in a bad neighborhood and have been robbed twice this year. Each time my DVDs have been stolen and its becoming a real hastle. It is not my intention to steal any DVDs. I have already purchased them at least once before. I just want to make this clear before I start because I have had my posts on this subject closed before. I have recently bought two programs. DVD Region + CSSFree and 1click DVD Copy. the DVD Region + CSS Free is supposed to get rid of the encryption to allow me to back up my movies but for some reason this is not working... I cant find any help on this problem and i have already checked the instructions and the help file. I dont know whats going wrong. If anyone has any help at all, it would be greatly appriciated.

Thank You.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I hope this explains why any posts relating to copyright protection bypass procedures are closed

1) Can I lawfully make a copy for my personal use of a film on DVD or music on a CD, which I lawfully acquired?

Yes, you are allowed to do so unless the DVD or the CD is protected by a measure which makes it impossible to copy unless the measure is circumvented, which is the case as regards e.g. copy-protected CDs.

However, if you have borrowed or leased the DVD/CD from others, including from libraries or a video store, it is illegal to make a copy of it. Nor is it legal to copy a copy of a CD/DVD if you have got the copy from others.

2) Is it allowed to circumvent a copy-protection mechanism in order to make a copy for my personal use of a film on a DVD or of music on a CD?

No, it is illegal to circumvent the copy-protection mechanism, although it is legal to make a copy for your personal use. If a DVD or CD is copy-protected you are in other words excluded from legally making a copy for personal use.