Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PPP adapter copy stopping all network traffic

• Please log in to reply

mikieboy

mikieboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having a problem with my PPP adapter.

I'm using a USB dial-up 2mb broadband modem which connects perfectly well straight after a reboot. After a while (sometimes a couple of hours) my traffic almost completely stops, although the connection is still good. When i do IPCONFIG in CMD i get 2 copies of the same PPP adapter, one with both the IP address and the Subnet mask having 0.0.0.0. The same adapter appears again underneath with correct addresses, but traffic is limited to 1mb per HOUR. The only way i've found round this is to reboot.

I've tried using different modems and different network cards, but that didn't help.

This has been happening for a while, and i can't find anyone else on google who's had a similar problem.

HELP!!!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi mikie,

When i do IPCONFIG in CMD i get 2 copies of the same PPP adapter, one with both the IP address and the Subnet mask having 0.0.0.0. The same adapter appears again underneath with correct addresses, but traffic is limited to 1mb per HOUR.

Could we please see this?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

When your connection becomes slow,what happens if you go to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Please goto Start --> Run --> type msinfo32 and press OK --> Expand Hardware Resources by clicking on the [+] and then select Conflicts/Sharing --> Click on File and then Export.. --> Save it to an easy-to-reach location as conflicts.txt --> Open up that text file, and copy/paste the results into your next reply.

Thanks,
Dan.

mikieboy

mikieboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your reply. Here's the info you're after - sorry it's a bit late, i've been working away the last few days.

Firstly, the ipconfig /all;

D:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lors
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 8:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Control
ler
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-12-94-67

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-4F-04-AF-9B

PPP adapter Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.13.64.13

PPP adapter Broadband:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.13.64.13
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.13.64.13
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.24.128.18

D:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop>

Event Viewer - I've got 7 of these;

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

I've also got 1 of these;

The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

When i do ipconfig /release, i get this;

D:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 8 while it has its media
disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 7 while it has its media
disconnected.

And when i do ipconfig /renew i get this;

D:\Documents and Settings\Mike>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 8 while it has its media
disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 7 while it has its media
disconnected.

And finally, the conflicts file;

System Information report written at: 03/08/06 22:43:04
System Name: LORS
[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
I/O Port 0x0000A000-0x0000BFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x0000A000-0x0000BFFF SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON 7500 SERIES

IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 20 Realtek AC'97 Audio

IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 22 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

IRQ 16 Hauppauge WinTV 88x Video (+IR)
IRQ 16 Hauppauge WinTV 88x IR Decoder

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF RADEON 7500 SERIES

IRQ 19 Silicon Image SiI 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Controller
IRQ 19 RADEON 7500 SERIES

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON 7500 SERIES

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON 7500 SERIES

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF RADEON 7500 SERIES

That's it. Hopefully you'll find something in all of this, and put me out of my misery!

Thanks again.

Mike.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Mike,

Just curious, why do you have so many adapters/LAC's installed? I'm assuming that you have actually removed the LAC 8 and LAC 7 NIC's? Did you only install these when testing your connection?

Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections. In this new screen, could you please either take a Screenshot of the folder, or alternately just tell me everything that is in this folder?

And also, what is it that makes you think that it's the "PPP adapter copy stopping all network traffic"? Any reason why you came to this conclusion? Could it rather be something on your computer interfering with your connection, or are you 100% positive that it's the duplicate post of your PPP adapter causing issues?

Sorry that I don't really have any suggestions to fix this just yet, still trying to get everything set straight in my head.

- Dan

mikieboy

mikieboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I currently have;

Dialup - disconnected

Internet gateway - connected

LAC7 - connected
LAC8 - disabled

These are my connections as they are right now. i have changed from USB/dialup to ethernet in an attempt to get this sorted. I have found that my ethernet connection is much slower than my USB/dialup connection was, and i may return to the dialup scenario. i'll see what it's like in the morning. the broadband connection isn't connected, that's an old modem that's not connected anymore. (i'm keeping it incase i need to return to it.)

in reply to your questions i have 2 nic's installed - 1 for the ethernet modem and 1 to link my laptop for downloading and filesharing (which is currently disabled to check my ethernet connection tonight).

i think that it's the 'PPP adapter...' that's killing my connection, as after i reboot this duplication corrects itself and i can download normally again. it seems to be the only differential to my system.

i can't be positive about any of this as this isn't my strong area but i would like to add that i've done some searching and i'm looking at the possibility that it's my filesharing software that's the problem somewhere - still looking for more info with that.

I had the BT engineer at my house today too, and he tidied up some of my connections so that may also help somewhere. as i said i'm not sure where the problem is but the only thing i had to start with originally was the duplicate adapters.

as things stand right now my connection is rubbish, my p2p software isn't downloading anything and my internet is intermittent. and also, since i started writing this i've just noticed that the network connection 'internet gateway' has disappeared...... and i've done nothing else!

hopefully these ramblings have helped... :tazz: i'm now considering a fresh install so any help you can give will be appreciated. cheers. mike

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, I see.

When you installed both Adapters (one for Internet, one for file-sharing), did you setup the appropriate protocols? If not, what did you do to set these up? Jut stick them in, install the drivers, and then go? I'm guessing that you haven't assigned the appropriate protocols to each NIC, which is resulting in your two Adapters becoming 'confused' and both are trying to do the same task -- which could result in the duplicate PPP entry.

in reply to your questions i have 2 nic's installed - 1 for the ethernet modem and 1 to link my laptop for downloading and filesharing (which is currently disabled to check my ethernet connection tonight).

Did this help? Having the file-sharing NIC disabled..? Did you connection still become extremely choppy/slow?

I had the BT engineer at my house today too, and he tidied up some of my connections so that may also help somewhere. as i said i'm not sure where the problem is but the only thing i had to start with originally was the duplicate adapters.

Could you please post a new ipconfig /all so that I can see what he removed/added, etc.

Thanks,
Dan.

mikieboy

mikieboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
here's my up-to-date ipconfig;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\Mike>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lors
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-4F-04-AF-9B

PPP adapter Broadband:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.13.88.231
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.13.88.231
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.24.128.18

D:\Documents and Settings\Mike>

since my last post i have switched back to my USB modem as my ethernet connection was worse than ever. The connection stayed constant but there was less traffic than before.

When you installed both Adapters (one for Internet, one for file-sharing), did you setup the appropriate protocols? If not, what did you do to set these up? Jut stick them in, install the drivers, and then go? I'm guessing that you haven't assigned the appropriate protocols to each NIC, which is resulting in your two Adapters becoming 'confused' and both are trying to do the same task -- which could result in the duplicate PPP entry.
Did this help? Having the file-sharing NIC disabled..? Did you connection still become extremely choppy/slow?

The protocols were fine, there was a bit of confusion when they were both enabled, but i half expected that. they really haven't been both enabled for any length of time - it was purely experimental! as for the speed there was no change - still rubbish.

As i said i have changed back to my USB dial-up modem. I have added a program called 'StayAlive' and i left the computer on again last night to find out if that helped. so far, i have success! It seems that if i don't allow my connection to be cut by my ISP (i'm 99% sure that they're limiting my bandwidth due to running Utorrent and Emule) then there won't be any problem with the modem reconnecting all the time, therefore making it difficult to 'confuse' my connection status.

I currently have 1mb download speeds, which is 10-15 times what i've been having for weeks. the NIC duplication didn't occur last night, and everything is still ok.

I'm not saying that this is fixed, but i do have a bandwidth i'm happier with. it may of course only last until i hit 'add reply' but i'll wait and see.

i'll keep an eye on this, and if there's any change i'll let you know. I do still intend contacting my ISP to shout at them..... :tazz:

mike.

Edited by mikieboy, 11 March 2006 - 05:52 AM.

mikieboy

mikieboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: Well, so much for that!

my 'stay connected' software doesn't keep me connected!

still getting the duplicate adapters, still getting near-zero downloads. the only way to fix it is to reboot.

can this be the work of a nasty isp? am i barking up the wrong tree? is the possibly the work of a virus/trojan or something equally irritating? (i'm using avast, zonealarm, spybot & asquared)

:)

RaYdeN777

RaYdeN777

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You're not the only one with this problem. I've seen a few instances of people complaining about this since it has plagued me for a while now. I wasn't bothered much until today.

I'm connected thru ADSL Broadband to my ISP which requires a username and password.
When my internet connection has been on for a long time and my ISP suddenly disconnects or times out, the PPP connection does not terminate. When I reconnect, it creates another instance of the PPP adapter. But the browser and everything else tries to connect using the unkilled PPP adapter.
I get the same errors on the IPCONFIG. My only remedy is a reboot at the moment.

This only started happening when i switched my WINXP pro to the other computer and put a WINXP student version on this machine.

Does anyone know how to re-install the PPP adapter for winxp, i've got a small hunch that it might be the problem.

Edited by RaYdeN777, 19 April 2006 - 06:02 PM.