Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

codUo server ?

• Please log in to reply

compu-noob

compu-noob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
when i start up the call of duty united offensive multiplayer there is an option to start new server. I was wondering whether this works and if you need any programing knowledge ( :) :tazz: because i have none).
Also does this cost anything and what download speed would be best.(and the name of the internet provider if possible)

thanks

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

when i start up the call of duty united offensive multiplayer there is an option to start new server. I was wondering whether this works and if you need any programing knowledge ( :) :) because i have none).
Also does this cost anything and what download speed would be best.(and the name of the internet provider if possible)

thanks

The start server option is for when you want to open a multiplayer server from home on your home internet connection. You need to know how to setup the basic settings like maxrate, maxplayers, pure server or non pure server, or punkbuster enabled or punkbuster disabled.. If you have a router you might have problems seeing your server show up on the internet list then you will need to go into there and set dmz host or port forwarding so people from the internet can actually see your server on the list and join it.

Your internet connection is also real important from home, you need enough upload to hold the clients connecting from the internet to your server pc.

All you do is goto a bandwith tester and it will test your speed. The Upload part is the only thing that matters the most on a server. Download is not important as long as you have around 1megabit down.

goto www.testmy.net or www.pcpitstop.com or http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and find out the speed of your internet connection.

I also have a forum that tells you how to open a cod /uo server from home. It lists everything in it. Just read through it if you have a router.

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=25785

generally for a lag free server follow around these guidelines.

**Note that Kbps is kilobits per second not kilobytes**

Below will list about how many clients you can hold for a server at home.

128Kbps upload = 3 people from the internet and (you the server playing on lan) =4 maximum if you always stay in the server. If you leave the server frequently the maxclients should be 3.

256Kbps = about 6 people from the internet + yourself. = 7 maximum if you are always in the server.

384Kbps= about 8-9 people from the internet + yourself about 9-10 maximum ever.

512Kbps= about 10-12 max ever..

Use a sv_maxrate of 5000, if you have 256Kbps or slower upload. If you have 512Kbps upload you could raise the sv_maxrate to 6000 if you wanted. :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The cost your talking about is if you want to rent a real server from a company that will host it for you.

the price on those varies and you pay by month or every 3 months or 6months or yearly..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you share a connection with other people and they use it alot, you will need to lower the clients of the server even more because your connection doesnt stay solid when its being used.

Those guidelines above are for noone using your connection at all. Its only for running the server by itself and noone downloading or doing anything in the next room for example. If someone else is using the connection or downloading the server will take a big impact.

compu-noob

compu-noob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the help :tazz: