Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advice from the forum gurus please....

• Please log in to reply

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
After a reply from a tech here, I decided not to go laptop (new) route and wish to present you folks with my dilemna....

I have about $1500.- $2000. to spend on either an upgrade or new pc. I have done some repairs and replacment parts b4 so it's not like I don't know my way into and around the inside of a tower.

At present I have a Systemax 3.06 ghz P4, with 1.5 Gig of ddr, 300 or 350 watt PS and then all my other peripherals. It is the only Intel I have. All my other pcs are AMD. I wish to purchase or rebuild/ upgrade this system. I would like to get the most bang for my buck because my wife will kill me if I ask to upgrade again within 2 years.

Please feel free to recommend a set-up utilizing my existing tower, or do you recommend an outright purchase of a complete system. (which I thought wasn't a good option money wise)

Motherboard????
Fan/heatsink????
AMD 64, 64 x2, FX-60????
Ram????? How much????
PS?????

This system will be used for minimal business functions, dvd burning, internet, minimal multi-media. No digital editing, no major office, no major graphics, and no gaming.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I am not your wife sneaking on here with a different name--don't upgrade

What you have for what you are doing is completely adequate for what you are doing. Nothing at the moment requires you to upgrade. Since prices in computer (almost) always come down, there is no reason to buy now. Wait until something you need requires more than what you have an upgrade then.

Tell your wife you were going to upgrade, but decided not to and then buy your wife something nice. The return will be greater.

(wow, I'm turning into Dear Abby)

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
But if I don't do it now I might not get to in the future.
My wife has a champagne appetite on a beer belly pocket-book.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

But if I don't do it now I might not get to in the future/'

For what you've said you want to use this system for:

"This system will be used for minimal business functions, dvd burning, internet, minimal multi-media. No digital editing, no major office, no major graphics, and no gaming."

Your system is already overkill for these functions alone because all of these can be done quite adequately on a much slower system with much less memory.

I strongly suggest you leave it as it is. If you feel you absolutely must upgrade something on it, stick a beefier power supply unit in it.