Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows (XP) Update error

• Please log in to reply

skippee

skippee

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Does anyone know what update is causing this error? c000021a. I know it is an update because the BSOD appeard twice on my machine and once on a friends machine right after the update and reboot. I'd like to identify the update that causes it so I can opt not to install it next time. TIA

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is such a broad area because that error occurs when the user mode subsystem starts-- it could possible be KB840987 which replaces winlogon.exe, or it is more likely sp1 or sp2

skippee

skippee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
One thing I failed to mention............this happens ALWAYS after a format and ALL of the updates are installed so maybe that might be of some help..............or not.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know if it helps or not...your scenario is fairly general. Do you install windows, run fine, and then install a billion updates an the error occurs? Install them in small bunches and the error occurs? Or what?

Why do you think it is an update?

What kind of machine is this? How are you reinstalling? Fresh install or a recovery cd? Does this pc have norton go back?

skippee

skippee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okee dokee................

Do you install windows, run fine, and then install a billion updates an the error occurs?

Yes..........it is after a format (with a recovery disc) and then

Why do you think it is an update?

I go to Microsoft's Windows Update site and install ALL of the updates...........usually about 35 or 38 of 'em.

What kind of machine is this?

I have a Sony Vaio but it also happend on a friends Emachine which I did a full recovery with updates from Windows update site.

One more thing.............My recovery disc installs Window XP Home while the emachine installs ME. I upgrade both to Windows Pro.........that's when I download the updates. Hope this helps.