Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems with older system

• Please log in to reply

woodyboy

woodyboy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi People,
I have just decided to make my boy his own pc from old parts, however the boards fans start up but no video and nothing else :tazz:
i have tried a few things like a diferent grafics card but still nothing.
The board is an abit kt7a raid can anyone help

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Leave bits out - memory for example. Leave graphics out.

Reset the CMOS - take the battery out for a few seconds and put it back in.

Stick the processor in another board that takes it and see if that boots.

Unplug everything so the only thing getting power is the board. Then power up.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
One of my favorite all time boards but not for the timid type - setup can be a bear. If you are using Win98 its very unforgiving re: IRQ's. XP is a little easier to setup. You will have to disconnect the ATX power header from the motherboard and move the CMOS jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 for about 10 seconds before returning the jumper to 1&2 in order to reset your BIOS. Then in Soft Menu you can set your processor speed, bus speed and memory speed or leave it at auto-detect. Again, this is a tricky board to set up. There is an archived FAQ available here which was written by Paul Howland. Read everything in this and then re-read it. Its the best single source document about this board available anywhere. You will also need a 350W PSU as an absolute minimum and it would be helpful if you knew your board revision V1.1, 1.2, 1.3 as a BIOS flash may be necessary depending upon what you are using for a processor. The KT7a will handle up to a 1400 T-Bird, both the 200MHZ or 266MHZ as a stock processor, but can also run unlocked Palimino's up to 1900+ and 2000+ (with the correct BIOS),

Good Luck - let us know how you make out.

:tazz:

woodyboy

woodyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried the reseting, but still not working.
what happens when i swict the board on is the fans start up, process, board and grafics card and the keyboard lights flash, the cd rom light flashes and i can hear the hard drive click, however it does not start the monitor up. i have tried to older grafics cards in it and a different monitor howeever thats as far as it goes.
The memory works in my other machine, as do all other parts.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Pull all of your cards except video. You may find that you have to make several attempts to get this board to fire up until you get that BIOS set correctly. Get used to the CMOS jumper because your going to be doing a lot of resets until you get it right and make darn sure taht you disconnect the power header at the motherboard each time you play with that jumper - otherwise its not going to clear.

Refer to the FAQ link I provided earlier - it covers a lot of start up issues in detail with suggestions and recommendations. Now, last comments - what kind of and size PSU do you have, brand and speed of memory and what processor are you trying to run?

:tazz: