Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probelms with Windows Explorer and other programs closing when dealing

• Please log in to reply

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Geeks To Go,

I have already received help in the Malware Forum. My computer is clean and protected, and MasterJ in the Malware Forum referred me here for possible assistance.

Several strange things happen when I deal with .MPG and .JPG files. My still camera will take video in .MPG format. When I download the files to my computer, the video files have a name like HP1234.mpg. When I try to change the name to something meaningful in Windows Explorer, all I have to do is click on the file name and Windows Explorer closes down, telling me that there is an error. I cannot do anything with the MPG files in Windows Explorer (rename, delete, copy, move) without the program closing. I didn't used to have a problem with the files. Looking back at my old files, I was apparently able to rename them through at least July 2005, but starting in August I have not been able to do anything with the files in Windows Explorer. BTW, the .MPG files seem to be fine. I can open PowerDVD, search for the .MPG files through that program, and play them without a problem.

In addition to this problem, over the past few weeks preceding the holidays, I began to have problems with JPG files. It started with my not being able to upload them to my Yahoo Groups picture albums (when previously I had no trouble) without the program closing. Then I could not upload to a public webpage that I use to store pictures. Eventually, I was unable to edit my photos (red-eye reduction, cropping) without the photo editing program closing. This all progressed over a few months, which is why I thought it could be a virus. However, my computer is clean yet the problems persist.

Interestingly, I am able to upload JPG's to the Walgreens Photo Service website, but I understand that this type of upload uses Viewpoint, so perhaps that is the reason I do not have trouble.

I clearly do not know much about computers or how to troubleshoot. I enjoy working with my pictures and little videos, so any advice or direction you all can provide is appreciated.

Thank you for your help, Barb

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
more than likely there is a dll version conflict or something that the malware broke.

I would recomend that we perform a file check on your system. You will need to have your xp cd in the cd rom drive. next go to start/run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

this will verify that you have the right version of everything.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Starjax,

Thank you for your help. I ran the "sfc /scannow" as you directed. I did not receive any message after the scan finished. Does that mean there were no problems detected?

I went to Windows Explorer to try to rename my .MPG file, and the program gave me the usual error message. Then I rebooted in case that was what I needed to do after the scan, tried Windows Explorer again, and the program still hung. I get a separate window that says I can send a report to Microsoft with the error information, but I cannot find a way to save the contents of that file. There is a great deal of text and a list of more than 100 modules with numerous .dll files listed. Would that information help diagnose the problem?

Thank you again for any help you can provide, Barb

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
unfortunately microsoft is the only one who can interpet that info.

so I see from your profile that you are running windows xp, have you installed sp2?

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Starjax,

Yes, I do have SP2 installed. My computer came loaded with SP1, but I receive automatic security updates from Microsoft so I suppose SP2 was installed when it became available.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Starjax, do you have any more thoughts on my problem? If not, is there a different forum where you suggest I post?

Thank you for your help, Barb

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
no additional thoughts just at the moment. But I will flag this for the other techs here to see if they have any ideas.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Barb:
What photo editing program are you using? Can you reinstall it?

Also, are you using IE or firefox? Does one browser work and not the other when you try to upload them?

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you Starjax and Coachwife6 for your comments.

Coachwife6, I only have IE as my browser. I don't have Foxfire.

The photo editting software is HP Image Editor Version P.1. I have all the software so I can reinstall it. Should I uninstall first and then reinstall? Or should I just Reinstall?

Thank you again for your help, Barb

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Are all of your photos saved on CDs? Do you have the HP photo editing software? If you answered yes to both questions, then go ahead and uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You might try downloading firefox and seeing if that works. Look in my sig for the link.

rich-m

rich-m

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Did these problems occur before you installed SP2, probably hard for you to answer but its just a thought! Also, have you been on the HP website for that image program and checked for any updates / patches for SP2.

Please post back and let us know the answer to this and the previous reply.

Edited by rich-m, 17 March 2006 - 02:56 AM.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you Coachwife6 and Rich-m for your comments.

I do have all the photos saved to CD and I have the HP photo software. I will do an uninstall and reinstall this evening (I am at work today).

I will also download Firefox and try that.

Rich-m, I don't know when SP-2 installed; it updated automatically so I didn't notice. Is there a way to determine when SP-2 was installed? I think I traced the start of my problems to late July, when I began to have problems with Windows Explorer hanging when I try to deal with .MPG files. I will check the HP site to see whether there are updates or patches for SP-2. You all are great; I wouldn't even have thought about doing that. I am learning little by little.

I will report back this evening. Thank you both again, Barb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Barb
Click on start > control panel > add remove programes highlight Internet explorer 6 (IE6) click on remove this will then pop up a box with the option
to repair IE6 choose this option and reboot.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

Thank you for the advice. When I go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, I do not have an entry for IE6. If I click on Add/Remove Windows components, there is a Internet Explorer among the choices. I did choose that box, but when I didn't get an option to Repair and Reboot, I cancelled the transaction because I didn't know what would happen, and I didn't want to make things worse. Was I doing the correct thing?

Rich-m, I did not find any SP2 patches or updates for the HP Image Editor software at the HP site.

CoacjWife6, I have not had an opportunity this weekend to reinstall the photo editing aoftware. I hope to have a change this evening but would like to try PeterM's IE6 repair as well.

Thank you all for your help, Barb