Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probelms with Windows Explorer and other programs closing when dealing

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Barb
You did the right thing as per my rule 2
Ok lets see what version of Internet explorer you are using.
When you have the web page open go to help>about internet explorer
What version number and update numbers can you see

Advertisements

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

Thank you for your reply. I checked for the version number and this is the information it showed:

Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpxp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
Cipher Strength: 128-bit
Update Versions:; sp2;

There was also a product ID but I was not sure you needed that.

Thank you, Barb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Thank you for the advice. When I go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, I do not have an entry for IE6. If I click on Add/Remove Windows components, there is a Internet Explorer among the choices. I did choose that box, but when I didn't get an option to Repair and Reboot, I cancelled the transaction because I didn't know what would happen, and I didn't want to make things worse.

When you did click on remove were you given any options at all?
Does your windows xp disk have SP2

Edited by peterm, 20 March 2006 - 05:50 PM.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

When I clicked on remove, it said something like Please Wait while we execute your request. So I cancelled it right away since I did not receive any options.

My XP disk came with SP1; I got SP2 at some point through the automatic security updates.

Barb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
We may have to do a repair
1st step download and install Firefox so we have more then 1 portal to the internet

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you PeterM, I will do that this evening (I am at work now). I will post when Firefox is installed. Thanks again, Barb

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

I installed Firefox and it seems to be working. I will be able to check a few times this evening if you have time to instruct me on how to proceed with the rpair of IE.

Thank you for your continued assistance, Barb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

It started with my not being able to upload them to my Yahoo Groups picture albums (when previously I had no trouble) without the program closing. Then I could not upload to a public webpage that I use to store pictures.

Can you now do this with firefox ?
Try all the internet problems you had with IE6 and see if they work with Firefox If yes then we look at rebuilding IE6

You have 2 problems from what I can see one (1) is Internet explorer is not working properly the other is
explorer is not working properly so we will take 1 at a time if that is ok with you.
Cheers
Peterm

smokey123

smokey123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I sugest u download this program it fixes lots of things http://www.errornuke....php?hop=jobina

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

Using Firefox I was able to upload my JPEG's to the web sites I use as well as to my Yahoo folder. I did not have the problem of the browser hanging or closing.

Windows Explorer still hangs and closes when I try to manipulate the MPEG files, but I wouldn't expect installing Firefox would have an impact on Windows Explorer, would it? One problem at a time as you say!

Smokey123, thank you for the suggestion. I will see how PeterM wishes me to proceed first with repairing IE first and then see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's help! Thank you, Barb

Advertisements

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

I will be away on a trip starting Friday morning and will not be available until Sunday evening. I will check the forum then for your instructions.

Have a good weekend, Barb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Barb
Click on the link in my sig Tune up trial(free download for 30 days). Install this and run the
2 options in the 2nd Tab Cleanup & repair. Then try IE6 & explorer
If they still do not work then go in to control panel & remove IE6.

Enjoy your weekend
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 25 March 2006 - 04:09 PM.

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM!

I installed and ran TuneUp as you directed. Then I tested IE6 again and was able to upload all my photos to the various sites I use without any problems! Thank you! I was also able to edit photos (red-eye reduction and crop) without any problems.

Windows Explorer however still hangs when I try to do anything with the MPG files (rename, copy, move, etc).

Thank you for your assistance with IE6; that is great. I look forward to any additonal advice you have concerning Windows Explorer.

Thank you again, Barb

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Now for the bad news
You may still have an infection that is causing explorer.exe not to work.
In my sig click on the online scan. We might ask the malware team to look at your files one more time. If both of these come up clean then we may have to do a Windows repair.
Cheers
Peterm

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi PeterM,

I clicked the Online Scan and get this message from eTrust AntiVirus Webscanner:

"Control failed to load. Are you using Internet Explorer 4.0 or above?"

Yes, I am using IE6, but I do not see a place to tell the version number or any other action. Then at the top of the page, there is a message:

"This site might require the following ActiveX control: CA Web Scan Control from Computer Control International. Click here to install."

Should I install this to run the online scan?

Thank you again (and again!), Barb