Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probelms with Windows Explorer and other programs closing when dealing

• Please log in to reply

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello Barb :blink:

It's no problem, I really didn't expect it to work but it was worth a shot :whistling:

Let's try this:

Please download MMCompView.zip.
Unzip it to your desktop.
Double-click mmview.exe to start the program. Look for the following:

Under Display Name and Filename it will probably show these..

Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder C:\WINDOWS\system32\lmpgad.ax
Ligos MPEG Splitter C:\WINDOWS\system32\lmpgspl.ax
Ligos MPEG Video Decoder C:\WINDOWS\system32\lmpgvd.ax

(If it's not these exact ones, although it should be, look for anything that says "Ligos MPEG" under Display Name and disable them)

Click to highlight one of the above and go up to File > Disable Selected Components.
Do the same for the other 2.
After disabling the above 3 in MMCompView, see if you still have the same problems with explorer crashing.

Advertisements

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you Michelle, I am at work today and will try this eveneing when I get home.

Thank you for your continued help, Barb

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Michelle!! OMG!! It worked! I can't believe it! Yes! My kids heard me yell yippee when it worked, then we watched every MPEG I have on the computer. Not a single problem! Then I played a movie DVD, an audio CD, a couple of AVI files, played the radio from the Internet, played some videos on the internet, loaded Ulead and converted a short video. Ulead took a long time to load and I imagined that I would have trouble after that. I used Explorer to open an MPEG and no problems; could still play MPEGS. I checked mmview.exe and the three Ligos MPEG decoders were still disabled. Then I started DVD Complete; I didn't know what to do with the program so I opened and closed it. Went to edit an MPEG and BAMM, Windows Explorer closed. I ran mmview.exe again, and those three Ligos MPEG decoders were enabled again! I guess DVD Complete enabled them. So I disabled them again, and could play/edit/manipulate the MPEG files in Explorer without a problem. I tested this process again by running DVD Complete; same situation. The program enabled the Ligos MPEG decoders and Windows Explorer hung when trying to do anything with MPEGS. I diabled them again, and no problems with Explorer.

So I guess that shows where the problem lies! I guess that when/if I ever learn to use DVD Complete that I can just run mmview.exe and disable those troublesome decoders when I am done with the DVD Complete program, although that is probably an inelegant way to do the job. But I know now where the trouble lies and how to fix it, unless it will do more damage to do things that way?

I don't know whether you want to tell me more or are ready to lock this thread, but before you do I had a quick question. Prior to running HJT the first time, there were a number of programs I installed to check for viruses and malware. Some of these I guess have no expiration but others have expired like Spybot and Ewido anti-malware. Do you recommend that I buy any of these programs to keep on my computer? If so, which ones do you recommend that I buy?

Huge thanks to you Michelle, and to all the Trusted Techs at Geeks to Go. Many thanks to all of you who have helped me including Michelle, PeterM, CoachWife6, Starjax, and MasterJ. If I have forgotten anyone, please forgive me; it has been a long time. You have all been so patient with me and I have learned a number of things too!

With fondest regards, Barb

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm glad we were able to help you figure out where the problem lies. :help: When I saw you come on earlier and didn't post, I wasn't sure if it was a good sign or a bad sign, I guess that answers my question! :whistling: You can play around with mmview to see if disabling any other Video codecs and leaving those will allow it to work without crashing, but if you want to use DVD Complete it won't hurt anything to disable the codecs when you need to access then from Explorer if you want to do it that way.

Prior to running HJT the first time, there were a number of programs I installed to check for viruses and malware. Some of these I guess have no expiration but others have expired like Spybot and Ewido anti-malware. Do you recommend that I buy any of these programs to keep on my computer? If so, which ones do you recommend that I buy?

SpyBot is free and doesn't expire and it's one we usually recommened. After the 2 week trial, Ewido goes to the free version which can still be updated and run so I would keep it (but really no reason to buy it since you have the real-time protection from Windows Defender and SpyBot). You can uninstall Trojan Hunter and SpySweeper since they are both only trials and I recommend Ad-Aware if you don't already have it. I would also definitely keep your Zonealarm firewall.

As far as purchasing any programs, that's completely up to you. I personally use SpySweeper and Ewido and for anti-virus I use Nod32, but the programs above will work great without having to purchase anything (you'll just have to manually update Ewido periodically and run it).

You are very welcome! :blink:

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Michelle,

Thank you again for all your help. Ah yes, it is Spy Sweeper that sends me messages to buy the program, not SpyBot. Thank you for your recommendations.

I feel so free! I am amazed how happy I am to have this resolved.

Many many thanks to all the great Trusted Techs!

All my best wishes, Barb

raychel420

raychel420

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Michelle, I thank you too!!! I have been having this same problem with videos from my digital camera, as soon as I would plug in my camera and open the folder to view the pictures and videos, it would close out and give me the same error.

I have been trying to resolve this problems for MONTHS.. I am SO thrilled to have this fixed I had to send a THANK YOU post too!!!

Thank you Barb for having the same problem, and Thank you Michelle for fixing it!!!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You're welcome, raychel420, happy to have resolved your problem as well :whistling:

Barb_near_Chicago

Barb_near_Chicago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Wow, that is so cool Raychel420! I am so glad your problem was resolved too! Have fun with your images now! Barb

jimex289

jimex289

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey I don't know if the topic is closed. My name is Jimmy and I am having a similar problem with Windows Explorer. It does not involve opening video files though. It just involves me browsing using windows explorer and having it crash on me capriciously. The thing has a mind of its own and decides to crash whenever. Just when I think it's been fixed, it crashes. I'm running XP Pro SP2 with IE6.0. It's the same as what Barb in chicago posted with his error report involving ntdll.dll. After it closes I have to go to task manager and force it to end process. You said codecs can cause this problem. Codecs installed on this machine came in a bundle pack called Combined Community Codec Pack and I also have XvID Koepi. My hijack this log is:

Ms. Michelle I would appreciate all the help you can give. It seems you solved Barb's problem and I'm very confident you can solve mine. Thank you. And again, if this topic is closed I'm very sorry.

Edited by Michelle, 17 April 2006 - 04:26 PM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello Jimmy :whistling:

I edited your post because we don't review HiJackThis logs in the XP forum.

Your Windows Explorer is most likely freezing because of codecs as well. It doesn't matter if you're not opening video files, most of the time just going into Windows Explorer is enough to freeze it/cause Dr Watson error message.

Advertisements

jimex289

jimex289

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Michelle. Sorry about the HiJackthis log. Should I download MMview and disable the codecs like Barb? Or should I uninstall the codecs? I don't have the Ligos Mpeg codecs. What I do have are regular Mpeg and audio codecs. BTW this crashing happened after I installed XP Pro with SP2. Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by jimex289, 17 April 2006 - 04:42 PM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
The MPEG codecs would probably be the ones causing it. You can download MMCompView and disable any MPEG codecs to see if you can find the culprit before uninstalling anything - that's what I would do. :whistling:

jimex289

jimex289

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok Michelle. I will disable all the Mpeg codecs and I'll let you know how it goes. Since these crashes happen arbitrarily, it might be a while before I post. Thank you. If there are any other problems I'll post and ask. Hopefully you will stick around. BTW it also seems my Winamp is crashing from kernel32.dll errors =(. So many errors lol.

Edited by jimex289, 17 April 2006 - 04:56 PM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I will be notified when you reply :whistling:

jimex289

jimex289

• Pip
  • 7 posts
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011e58

Lol *cries.* Yeah so There you have it. I disabled all the MPEG related things in MMCompView. Any tips on what I should do next? Thank you.