Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I just upgraded to XP but now it takes for ever....

• Please log in to reply

tomcat31875

tomcat31875

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was running Me and I just recently upgrade to XP but it now takes forever to open applications and I freeze up alot!!! What can I do to increase my computer's speed. I tried Disk Clean up and Defragging but that didn't help much...what else can I do???

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You may be running the bare minimums for system requirements for Win XP. Here's a link to check your system against what Micro$oft says for Win XP Pro:

Win XP Pro System Requirements

I would pretty much take what it says as just a guideline and try to double the RAM and HD requirements. I once partitioned my HD just for Win XP Pro at 1 GB and it said it wasn't enough. :tazz:

I have only a 6 Gb HD and a little more than 360 Mb of RAM and it did run very slow even with all the fancy features turned off. I'm back to Win ME until I get either a new HD and more RAM or new PC.

You might try turning off the Indexing Service and fancy effects to see if that helps and use the classic look.

Ron

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
i ran xp pro on a p2 400mghz, with 394 megs of ram, and a 6gig hd, no problems at all.

i have also ran xp pro on a p2 233 with 128 megs of ram with the fancy turned off and had no problem. but yea, it verys from comp to comp tho

tomcat31875

tomcat31875

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
What "FANCY" features do I turn off and HOW??? I'm not use to XP and it's starting to really perturb me in a very bad way :tazz: