Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 folder in startup

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can deselect (uncheck) the following under the Startup tab:
  • realarcade_seedcorn_stub.exe
  • wapitr.exe
  • zxdnt3d.cfg
  • conime.exe
Reboot. Upon startup, you will see a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Select the checkbox to not show it again and click "Ok".

Then click Start, point to "All Programs", and select the "Startup" folder. What's listed in there?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In reviewing all that has been done, it appears we overlooked an easy one early on...let's check it real quick.

Go to Control Panel and open "Folder Options". On the "View" tab, uncheck the
line "Restore previous folder windows at logon". "Apply" the change and click "Ok".

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
They aren't in the startup tab folder that I saw in the msconfig folder.
Those I listed are in the actual system folder. It doesn't appear in startup tabs. I must be missing something.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Go to Control Panel and open "Folder Options". On the "View" tab, uncheck the
line "Restore previous folder windows at logon". "Apply" the change and click "Ok".

There wasn't a check mark there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the reg file I had you save to the desktop, point to "Send to" and choose "Compressed Folder". Attach that zip folder to your next post. Guess I'm gonna have to wade through the registry to find this one.. :tazz:

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Here it is. Should I come back tomorrow for further details? I don't know what time I'm working with with you.

Edited by Mamabeah, 05 March 2006 - 04:27 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will take me a bit to go through this...I'm not sure quite how long...just check back from time to time. Hopefully, I'll find it tonight... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whoops! I need the whole registry...that was just a little bitty part of it.

Open regedit, scroll clear to the top and click on "My Computer". Then "Export" another copy to the desktop with the same name (which is today's date, btw), 030406. Zip it up and attach it here for me.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok now?

Edited by Mamabeah, 05 March 2006 - 04:28 PM.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
actually, I tried it again. I don't think I got to the top and I had to merge.

Advertisements

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
didn't show up...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey guys, just wanna post the solution that worked for me in the past to get rid of this annoyance....

---------------------------------------

LEFT click and drag the cursor over all the lines inside the quotebox below to highlight them starting with @echo off; then select all by clicking Ctrl+a Paste the contents onto Notepad. Click file>save>type "runs.bat" as the name and save to your desktop. NOTE you MUST use the quotes in the name as I did else the file type will be wrong and won't run.

@echo off
if exist "%SystemDrive%\rep.txt" del "%SystemDrive%\rep.txt"
Regedit /e %SystemDrive%\LM.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
Regedit /e %SystemDrive%\CU.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
type %SystemDrive%\LM.txt>>%SystemDrive%\rep.txt
echo ****************************************************************************>>c:\rep.txt
type %SystemDrive%\CU.txt>>%SystemDrive%\rep.txt
del %SystemDrive%\LM.txt
del %SystemDrive%\CU.txt
echo Go to C:\rep.txt and post a copy back to Fenor in the forum (thanks to jwbirdsong for this script)
pause

Copy the text in the following quote box into notepad and save it as newfix.reg. Then close notepad and locate the file and double-click it to run it, hitting YES to the question about whether or not you want to merge this entry with the registry. Then reboot your computer and post back whether the system32 folder opened or not.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run]

---------------------------------------

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Too big...probably about 4 MB. Let me pick some keys I want to look at and get back to you...we'll do it a few keys at a time.

Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then "Export" just that key. Compress it and attach it.

Mamabeah

Mamabeah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I tried Fenor's plan...no good.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can attach the key I asked for in the last post. That'll give me a start.