Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apology

• Please log in to reply

flecker

flecker

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey, I know it's voulonteer work and all.... but some people I see are waiting in excess of 5 days for help.
No offense to the Geeks or anything but most people could just reformat thier drives in that amount of time minus 4-1/2 days.

I waited a day for just a response to my malware problem, then got one and have the feeling it's gonna be even longer to get a response to my response! What gives???

Frustrated.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I looked at your topic and I think it was responded to in a timely manner by flrman1. He has been designated as a Microsoft MVP - a very high distinction and is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board.

It is the weekend - most of our helpers and those on other sites don't respond to logs on the weekends.

I understand your frustration, but you have to understand our predicament. Too many infected computers and too few helpers. :tazz:

flecker

flecker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So basicly.... it will be Monday before this gets resolved?
So I should just reformat??? Seems alot quicker IMO.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

So basicly.... it will be Monday before this gets resolved?

I don't have flrman1's schedule. He may check in in five minutes or it may be tomorrow or it may be Sunday or Monday. I do know that he is very conscientious but he volunteers on many boards and this is not his paying job.

It's your choice on what you want to do with your computer. I can't answer that one for you.

flecker

flecker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

It's your choice on what you want to do with your computer. I can't answer that one for you.

Hey, I think you just did....

In any case, it seems like a waste of time for me to sit here and wait when I can just reformat and be done w/ it already. I'm not blaming anybody and I know it's a free service and all! On the website I frequent when people need help I don't say "Do this, and I'll check back on you in a few days.... mmmmmmmmmmmkay?"
I'm really just frustrated I wasted so much time here as opposed to just doing a clean install in the frst place.

You should change the website name from "Geeks to Go" to "Geeks that are really slow". :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I alerted flrman1 to this thread in case he responds and you've already reformatted. Good luck. :tazz:

flecker

flecker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks! I'll go ahead and write a reply in my original "help me" post so that he doesn't waste his time responding. :tazz:

By the way, I won't refer anybody here.... unless they have alot of time. OK?

Seems like you have some free time! Wanna take a crack at my Malware problem??? I live close to Texas, I vcan return the favor!~ I weld, fabricate, very good mechanic and other highlights! Whatya say?

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I understand your frustration, but you have to understand our predicament. Too many infected computers and too few helpers. :)

Very well said, not to mention, its free :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

No offense to the Geeks or anything but most people could just reformat thier drives in that amount of time minus 4-1/2 days.

I have close to 2, 000 songs on my computer, not to mention numerous assignments, reports and other University / work-related files on my computer. Along with this, I have many nifty programs and utitlities installed. Transferring all of these off of my computer alone would take hours. Many of the programs I have I doubt I could get my hands on again, and definitely not without great hassle. Replacing, re-installing and re-transerring all of my files, programs and utilities would literally take days; days that I absolutely could not afford to lose. Formatting because of a few annoying pieces of malware would, in my case, be absolutely ridiculous. I would much rather wait "in excess of 5 days" to have my computer cleaned, for free, and at no expense to myself, than to format, and lose alot of my personal time (I don't have enough as it is, without creating more work for myself), getting everything back the way I like it. I know I am not alone, and there are ALOT of people out there who would much rather wait a few days than to have to start from scratch.

You should change the website name from "Geeks to Go" to "Geeks that are really slow".

Such a comment does not even warrant a response. If you're frustrated, fine. But I would expect such a petty little comment from a twelve year old. By all means, if you don't like some-thing about the site, this is the place to say it; and you did that. You made yourself very clear in your first post, and that was fine. However, there was absolutely no need to make such a comment.

I take a minute or two out of my day to try and offer my advice to people seeking it on the site, however I know for a fact that the vast majority of the Malware Staff sacrifice far more of their time than I do, simply to attempt to alleviate the oppressive amount of infected members... And they do a superb job. To ridicule their sacrifice goes beyond rude.

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
To Dan G,

VERY well said. :tazz:

To flecker,

That comment is rude and unnecessary. If you don't want to wait, then bring your computer to a local computer shop and pay for it. I guarantee you they won't have the expertise you will find at this forum to "fix" your computer. You will likely be told that it has to be formatted!

Your comments are rude. And as one of the people who volunteer their time to help others remove malware, I am offended. :)

Advertisements

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I guarantee you they won't have the expertise you will find at this forum to "fix" your computer. You will likely be told that it has to be formatted!

Exactly what happens sooooo often to me in the past :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Thank you all for your comments. Everyone has brought up some very valid points. There is always room for improvement. Thanks flecker. :tazz:

This topic was closed but now reopened, so flrman1 can make a response, per his request

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Quick point and not to drag this on any longer then necessary,

Do people ever think for one moment of how many topics the staff of this board reply to and the user never comes back,

For a staff memeber to not get overwhelmed and take on more then they can handle some set limits to the number of topics they will take on as to not leave members hanging when and if they do come back

Should we make it a site policy to ask the member if they plan on completing the instruction we will give them and then even more import follow through with the recommendations of steps to take to not get reinfected.
I know this is a bit over the edge as we are here to help as many people as quickly as we possible can, I wont beat a dead horse and repeat what many other have already said.

I weld, fabricate, very good mechanic and other highlights!

And how many people do you have banging on your door are you done yet, you told me 2 days and now its 3 ?

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Thanks for reopening this Val. I was in the middle of typing a reply when it was closed.

Just a little FYI for you flecker. Normally I would have stuck with you yesterday evening when I got home from work, but I was not feeling well. In spite of how bad I was feeling, one of the posts I made it a point to reply to was yours. I made sure I replied to yours before I went offline because of this last post you made:

Would it be easier if I just did a re-install? I can't access pirate4x4.com and I need info off it to complete a project I am working on... all these constant pop-up's are getting to the point that I am considering just scrapping the whole harddrive and staring over :tazz:

I didn't want you to go off and reformat when it is not necessary to do so. After about 45 minutes online answering a few posts, I decided it was in my best interest to go lay down because I was feeling worse all the time. I stayed in bed all evening.

I am one of the volunteers here that usually posts more on the weekend. You would have had a response from me this AM whether I felt better or not simply because I don't like to leave people hanging as long as I did last night, but I did what I had to do for myself. I would have stuck with you throughout this weekend to resolve your problems to the best of my ability.

You were third in line to get a reply from me this morning. I just read your last reply to your thread before seeing this topic. I would have been posting a reply to you right now, on my own free time, to help finish fixing your computer. Instead, I am having to spend some of the time that I could be using to finish helping others to reply to this.

From what I can tell, we were not far from getting your machine straightened out. I don't see how you can backup your data, reformat and reinstall all your apps in less time than it would have taken to finish what we started even with the delay. I will be glad to finish this with you if you have not reformated already, but that is your choice.

Anyway, I apologize for the delay. It was just one of those evenings when I just had to take some time for myself. I can assure you that your impression of the forum and the excellent staff here is dead wrong.

Have a wonderful day!

Mark

Edit: Another FYI: I can't get to the pirate4x4 site either ....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.php

It's the site, not you.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm confused. All this talk of slow service, and you had a reply in 30 MINUTES! You would have had your problem resolved in under 48 hours. Where's the problem? You get terrific fast service, and complain about it. :tazz: (topic here)

I live close to Texas, I vcan return the favor!~ I weld, fabricate, very good mechanic and other highlights! Whatya say?

Maybe this is a better analogy for you flecker? Let's say I setup a website for you offering free fabrication and welding? You can spend your free time on evenings and weekends helping anyone that makes a request. It doesn't matter how many requests you get, or how complicated the task, I'd expect your service to be better and faster than if I were to pay someone to do it! :)

To take this analogy a step farther. Say someone brings you a request. You look at it, form a plan to complete it, and have almost finished the work, when they say, "never mind, you're taking too long." :)

You've been rude, and despite your attacks, we were still willing to help you through your problem. If you have trouble in the future, please take them elsewhere. If you have friends, and they're like you, please don't tell them about us. We don't want them. Good bye, and good riddance.

Topic closed.