Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection keeps dropping

• Please log in to reply

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have two computers one wired and one wireless. The laptop I am using is a Dell 8600 with a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PC Adapter. Every 5 -10 minutes my connection just drops out and then reconnects. I did a network diagnostics and this is what it said. I have a westell 2100 wirespeed modem with DSL and a linksys WRT54GS router. My wired computer is fine with no problems it is just my wireless connection. I am running windows XP SP2. Please help if you can!!!

Thanks

Edited by susiegirl07, 10 March 2006 - 06:42 AM.

Advertisements

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Sorry for such a long post but basically this is what I see to be a problem. All the drivers and windows are updated. Thanks sooooo much for your help.

IP Address FAILED
[00000004] Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter (FAILED)
IPAddress = 192.168.1.100 (FAILED)
Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
HELP Please!!! Still no word from you wonderful techs..............I am starting to feel left out.
Thanks in advance for any help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...don't bump your thread....doesn't help

second...if you connect this machine (non working one) directly to the router (like the working one is) does it connect fine?

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It works now, I just keep getting disconnected. I have hooked it up to the router and yes it works. My router and network card are both fairly new.

Thanks again for your help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so basically...everything hard wired....all good...when you have the one computer on wirelessly....it disconnects....is it a random disconnect or is it predictable?

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It is random. I have PRO/Wirless utility running the adpater not windows and I turn off WZC. Everything I seem to do doesn't change anything. I ran winsockfixxp with no change. I am running out of options here.

Thank you

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
sometimes what can wreak havoc with the wireless is phones. Do you happen to have a 2.4ghz phone? One way to test this turn off the phone and try surfing.

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes I do have wireless phones and I have tried turning them off. I still get disconnected. I can go a day without it sometimes but mostly it happens everyday. I have been baffled over this for some time now. I hope this isn't something I just have to get used to cause it can get frustrating.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi susiegirl07

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within -- you should really be looking for any errors that coincide with the time you become disconnected.. So, the next time you get disconnected, have a look in the Event Log, and try to find an error that occurred around the same time.

Also, when you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Thanks,
Dan.

Advertisements

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
There are quite a few messages so I'll just give you these for now:

1. Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000CF166755B. The following error occured:
The operation was canceled by the user. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network
address (DHCP) server.

2. TCP/IP had reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

3. Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000CF166755B. The IP address being used is 169.254.51.84.

4. The server could not bind the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2B2EFA7D-89C2-4457-A462-FAO73395F22} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

That is mostly it. I don't understand that last one though since this computer (wireless) and my wired computer are the only ones on the network.

Thanks for much for your help.

Edited by susiegirl07, 07 March 2006 - 06:27 AM.

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Oh I'm sorry I didn't post about the ipconfig. There were no erros when I released or renew.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

2. TCP/IP had reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Well, first things first, let's fix this error. This could very well be the cause of your problem, and if not, then it's the cause of another problem that you might not have noticed yet :tazz: It could also simply be contributing to the problem. Please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection. *NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability, and there is no need to panic.

Once you've done this, please let us know if you still become disconnected.

Thanks,
Dan.

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I downloaded the patch and changed the limit to 100. Instead of being thrown off my signal keeps losing strentgh. Inside of 5 bars it goes down to 2 then 1 and usually disconnects. I have had one disconnect already and as usually it happens randomly.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Susie

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Just to keep you informed I am still disconnecting. Random and unpredictable.

Thanks for your help

Susie