Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No screen displayed

• Please log in to reply

Arkad

Arkad

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: please pc buddies!
Hi and good wishes to pc builders,
I recently finished building a water cooled pc,the problem is no screen,its blank!
The computer starts up eg,power lights,(action,battle stations!),water pump works,disc drives spinup.Graphics card fan works.
I think it could be the monitor cables ,not properly connected.
One cable goes to graphics card,(15 pin blue connector),from monitor to new computer
One power cable to wall socket from monitor.
One cable 3 pin from pentium 3 (old system),to monitor.
I am not sure whether this is correct!
On my new pc I only have a single 3pin socket,for the power supply
On my old p3 system I have double 3pin system,one for the power supply,and one going to the monitor.
I am going to push the reset cmos key,to see if that works,and may resat the memory modules.
System spec is;
Msi Neo4 Platinum socket 939 sli,with audigy chip.
Athlon 64,venice 3200
Corsair xmxpro 3200,512 mb
Silverstone thermal controller
Gigabyte 3d Galaxy Water cooling,with external radiator.
Chaintech 6600 Gt 128 Mb DDR3,nvidia.
550w Ctk PSU
NEC DVD RW,Samsung Dvd rom,Mitsumi Floppy,with sd card reader.
Cosmos 3 case,with leds.
Any help is greatly appreciated,regards David

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G, David

Can I just confirm with you exactly how you have the cabling arranged please?
You should have :
One 3 pin power lead from wall socket to new computer
One 3 pin power lead from wall socket to monitor
15 pin data cable from monitor to new computer

Is this what you have?

Can you also confirm whether you have one PCI-E graphics card installed or two?

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Samm,
And thanks for the response,yes it is correct on the cabling,and one graphics card running.
With the motherboard you get a Led Dtype checker,I have installed this and it says the memory is not inserted correctly,I changed the memory from the corsair to two kingstons 512mb,but still no luck,maybe a problem with the board,but seems strange the fans are working,and power seems to be going around system.
May take to shop to get board checked!
Know what you mean with Blair,we are run by a bunch of crooks!maybe Mafia!!
Whats your system like,
I live in UK,outskirts of London,Cheers Dave.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Dave

The symptoms you have described (ie. fans spinning etc but no boot) are actually very common & consistent with incorrectly installed ram, as well as a number of other things.

Please follow these instructions very carefully...

1) Disconnect the external power lead from the computer & open up the case

2) Wear a static strap if you have one, or if not, then touch a metal surface to discharge your static before touching anything inside the computer. Make sure you also have plenty of light to work in.

3) Disconnect the power leads from the motherboard (ie the main 24 pin ATX connector & the square 4 pin power connector-JPWR2)

4) Remove all the ram modules & place somewhere safe - ideally in an anti-static bag.

5) Reinsert ONE ram module into the first GREEN ram slot (the one nearest the cpu). Make sure you insert evenly by pressing down on both ends of the stick at the same time. It will require firm pressure but DO NOT force it. If it doesn't want to go in fairly easily, then check that you have it the right way round!

6) Locate the cmos battry (round silver battery just beneath the ram slots). Next to it, you should see a small button (SW1). Press this button to clear the cmos.

7) Make sure that the video card is in the top PCI-E slot obviously.

8) If your case has a system speaker or buzzer, please make sure it is connected. Assuming I am working from the right motherboard manual, this speaker connects to the header marked JFP2, with the red speaker wire on pin 8 & the black wire on pin 2.

9) Reconnect the two power connectors (24pin ATX & 4 pin JPWR2) to the motherboard.

Make sure the only external components you have connected are the monitor, keyboard & mouse (optional). Power the system on again & let me know what happens. In particular, do you hear any beeps, do you get a picture on the monitor, what code is the D-bracket diagnostic panel showing?

In reply to your last question, I have several computers (on a network) but my main system is an overclocked Athlon XP in a stupidly large 7-bay chieftec tower case, with 2 IDE drives, SCSI drives & vast amount of RAM. Oh, and 15 fans last time I counted!

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Samm,and thanks for getting back to me quick.
I am really happy,because the system works.
Monday night I checked the CPU,and waterblock heatsink,the whole thing had come away from the socket,includingthe chip,I could not have inserted correctly,but also the Gigabyte thermal grease I applied was too much and cause the copper water block to really stick to the chip,I cleaned up the chip with some isoprpyl cleaner and put some silver akasa thermal compound grease,much better not so sticky.
The system fired first time,and I''ve installed XP,no problem.
With the water block being a bit heavy,I made sure its secure.
The only thing I have trouble with is the thermal controller made by Silverstone I cannot turn the alarm on the clock off,its really loud.
I will try their website! On the manual they say push the mode button for three seconds then push it 5 times,but nothing seems to change!
For now I am so pleased the systems working,a real nice piece of work,quick,noisy,using a bit of water,but great to look at,(bit like Rita Hayworth),completed in 3 months.

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
comp.jpg Hi Samm,and thanks for getting back to me quick.
I am really happy,because the system works.
Monday night I checked the CPU,and waterblock heatsink,the whole thing had come away from the socket,includingthe chip,I could not have inserted correctly,but also the Gigabyte thermal grease I applied was too much and cause the copper water block to really stick to the chip,I cleaned up the chip with some isoprpyl cleaner and put some silver akasa thermal compound grease,much better not so sticky.
The system fired first time,and I''ve installed XP,no problem.
With the water block being a bit heavy,I made sure its secure.
The only thing I have trouble with is the thermal controller made by Silverstone I cannot turn the alarm on the clock off,its really loud.
I will try their website! On the manual they say push the mode button for three seconds then push it 5 times,but nothing seems to change!
For now I am so pleased the systems working,a real nice piece of work,quick,noisy,using a bit of water,but great to look at,(bit like Rita Hayworth),completed in 3 months.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats a nice looking system. Hope you've got a side window on the case!

Re. the silverstone thing...I looked on Silverstones website at the installation manual too, and it says that you can turn the alarm clock function on & off by pressing the SET button once. Have you tried doing this?

BTW I don't know if I was looking at the right model of controller as there's several of them, but this seems to be the only one that fits the description.

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
P7130138.jpg Hi Samm,
and thanks for the kind words,the model for the Silverstone controller is SST-FP52.
I have tried the set button,but I think I'll check all the wiring because something maybe poorly connected,the only other thing is the battery display should stay on when powering down the computer,but it doesn't,maybe a faulty battery,or not installed correctly!
The side panel is clear perspex,the setup is a bit different to when I was working on pentium 3's at college!
Best regards Dave. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good, I was looking at the right model in that case!

According to Silverstone, the battery is used to maintain the clock & system settings. So as long as the time doesn't keep resetting, then the battery's probably fine. However, if you have access to a multimeter or voltmeter, then may want to check the battery anyway. It should be reading 3V or there abouts.

It sounds more like you have installed it incorrectly somewhere. I assume it came with installation instructions but in case it didn't, just click on the link below...

http://www.silversto...0guide/FP52.jpg

BTW, you reckon the setup is different to working on P3's? You should try working on 386's & 486's!

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
comp2.jpg :tazz: Hi Samm,
And cheers for the reply,I know your busy with everybodies problems!
Still no luck with the thermal controller,its alarm still sounding,I have taken out battery and the time does reset itself nearly every time the alarm sound approx 2 seconds.
I looked on the website and a similar problem happened with another Guy.(Silverstone recommended it was a faulty unit).
I have checked al the wiring,and it seems ok!
The weird thing is I have no temperature displays for CPU,HD,SYS,but I do have Hard disk activity reading.
I am going to get a new battery,I tried contacting Europe,and US technical support,but received no reply!Oh well
I wonder whether anyone in UK can help!
Going to keep trying,Thanks for your advice,respect to all the Cyber babes out there!
Regards Dave.
PS. 386/486,Blimey I didn't know they were still around,funny though because I sold my old ZX 48k Spectrum to a Guy on Ebay,he reckons they now load the games via an adapted hardrive from Germany!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Dave

I think in that case you're right - try changing the battery then if still no luck, send the unit back.

Re. 386/486's - they're not still around (exept maybe in places like Russia), it's just that I used to work on them when they were still around. That's how long I've been fixing computers for!

BTW - your system looks awesome :tazz:

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Samm,
Cheers for the reply.
Silverstone America contacted me and diagnosed my problem with the controller.
When I installed the controller I removed the yellow thermal stickers,hence no temperatures displayed and the beep noises.
Obviously I damaged the thermal sensors by doing this!
I am not sure whether it can be repaired,by applying the correct thermal yellow tape.
Originally I removed the tape because it was not that adhesive.and applied metal foil tape in its place.
Do you know whether you can purchase new thermal tape which will work with this system?
Thanks again for your helpful replies.
Regards Dave.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Dave

From what I can tell, the tape only serves to hold the sensors in place, there's not actually anything special about the tape itself.

Obviously if you have managed to damage the sensors when removing the tape, then I doubt they can be repaired. However, if the tape wasn't that sticky to start with, then I can't see removing it would really cause any damage. If you want to try sticking them back on again, then I suggest you use insulation (electrical PVC) tape instead.

Arkad

Arkad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: Hi Samm,
Success at last,
I managed to get everything working,by attaching some clear plastic sleeving around the thermal sensors,fortunately I had not broken the two contacts.The plastic sleeving I have attached with tape to the various surfaces,e.g.cpu,hd,sys.
All the temperatures are on the display and no more alarm noise,which is a relief.
I think the sensors should not touch a metal surface or they won't work.
The problem took a while to resolve but hey its all about persistance!
I have still got to check the battery!
But this is no problem.
Thanks for tips andkind regards,
David.