Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant login to Linksy Router

• Please log in to reply

XxBunnyBoyxX

XxBunnyBoyxX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well i have tried to reset the Router ( pushed the back button with a pen ). I have just tried to unplug it lol. And i have also tried to delete all "offline" files. And the default username and password wont work. Well last time i was on the Admin section of the router ( i forgot how i did it, but i didnt use a password to get on, but followed some link ) and the password was not the default. So i reseted it and it still doesnt work for me. I looked for support on the Linksy website, but they dont give you anything but other links ( [bleep]s ). So anyone have an idea of what to do?

Note: Please try to be very SIMPLE or be very DISCRIPTIVE, since this is not my type of thing

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you connected to the router via ethernet cable or wirelessly?(if it's a wireless router)
generally the admin page of the router can be accessed by typing in the router's ip address (usually 192.168.0.1 or .1.1 depending on the router) into your web browser while connected directly via ethernet cable...

duffo

duffo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The following is from the config. info. I got with my BEFSR41V3 Linksys router.

Open you web browser (it's ok if you get an error message at this point).
Enter: http://192.168.1.1 in the web browsers Address field. Press ENTER.
A Network Password screen will appear( Win XP users will see a "connect to 192.168.1.1" screen.
Leave the USER NAME field empty, and enter admin in lower case letters in the password field. admin is the default password. Then click OK.
The router config. screen will appear with the Basic Setup tab selected.

The router supports six connection types: DHCP (obtain an IP automatically), static IP Address, PPPoE, RAS, PPTP and Heart Beat Signal. these types are listed in the drop-down menu for the Iternet Connection Type setting. Each basic Setup Screen and available features will differ depending on what kind of connection type you select.
1. DHCP or OBTAIN an IP ADRESS AUTOMATICALLY.
If your ISP says that you are connecting through DHCP or DYNAMIC IP addresses from your ISP, preform these steps.

a. Select OBTAIN an IP automatically as the Internet Connection Type.

b. Click the SAVE SETTINGS button.

2. STATIC IP ADDRESS or SPECIFY an IP ADDRESS

If your ISP says thast you are connectiong through a STATIC or FIXED IP ADDRESS from your ISP, follow these steps:

a. Select STATIC IP as the Internet Connection type

b. Enter the IP address

c. Enter the Subnet Mask.

d. Enter the Default Gate way.

e. Enter the DNS addresses in the PRIMARY DNS and SECONDARY DNS fields. You need to enter at least one DNS address.

Click the SAVE SETTINGS button.

PPPoE

If your DSL providers says that you are connecting through PPPoE or if you normally enter a user name and password to access the Inter Net, preform these steps.

a. Select PPPOe as the Internet Connection Type.

b. Enter the User Name

c. Enter a Password

d. Click SAVE SETTINGS button.

e. Click the STATUS tab and then click the CONNECT button to start the connection.

Based on the setup instructions from your ISP, you may need to provide a host name and domain name for the router. The host name and domain name fields are usually left blank. If requested by your ISP (usuually cable ISPs)
complete these two fields.

If you haven't already done so, click SAVE SETTINGS and vlose the web browser.

Reset the power on your cable or DSL modem.

Restart your computers so that they can obtain the Routers new settings.

You only need to configure the router once using the first computer you set up.

I gave you just 3 of the 6 connection types. If you need one of the remaing 3, let me know.