Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Reoccurring BSOD

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Bah, I'm back again.

Apparently my laptop has hit that mark where when you fix one thing, something else has to break to compensate. :)

Anyway, recently I've been having problems with a Blue Screen of Death popping up. The report reads:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, along with a bunch of long winded paragraphs telling me if the problem persists to see customer support and something about a memory dump (what a scary phrase).

Also the Hex (I believe that's what it's called) says-
stop: 0x000000D1 (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

When I restart Windows one of those little error reports show up asking if I want to send my info to Microsoft, and when I do it redirects me to a Microsoft page telling me that a Device Driver caused the 'serious error', but nowhere does it give me a clue as to which device driver it could be. Additionally, I haven't installed, removed, or otherwise modified ANY of my device drivers. Needless to say I'm a tad perplexed. The issue keeps reoccurring as well. I haven't gotten through a day in about a week now in which my laptop won't get snagged on a BSOD or occasionally get perpetually stuck in standby, from which I need to restart the computer from.

My only suspicion is my Belkin Wireless Internet card, and here's why - I recently moved into a new apartment this past Sunday and I've been using their already established Internet via my Wireless Internet card (Ethernet cord is too short to string it all the way into the other room). I suspect this because I never used my wireless card in my previous apartment because I had a cable modem and a solid line to get the connection from. I've used my wireless card for lengthy periods of time before with no BSOD, which is why I'm perplexed as to why its popping up constantly now. Additionally...the device shouldn't be causing trouble since it was built for long-term use (And I just bought it back in August so it's fairly new). However, my suspicion could be mere coincidence...I'm not sure.

I've been trying pinpoint what I'm doing when the error occurs, but it happens so sporadically there doesn't seem to be any event on my part that triggers it. Most of the time I'll just be surfing the Internet and suddenly, bam. But like I said earlier it seems to do it all by itself on standby sometimes as well. Usually the screen pops up after a while of the computer being on (not all the time though, I got it earlier today and the laptop had only been on for about an hour or so). I originally though it might be the computer overheating, but in all honesty the laptop hasn't been getting much hotter then usual and I've since begun to doubt it's the cause of my errors.

So that's basically where I stand. I did some searching, but couldn't find an already established topic with this specific error being discussed, so hopefully it's not a no-brainer issue that'll make me look like a fool. Additionally, because Microsoft's site said this was a device error...I thought this specific forum would be the correct place to cry for help, but if it's not I'm extremely sorry.

Help. :tazz:

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hi there Discloner

The Stop 0xD1 messages indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Possible Resolutions:

• Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

Cool :tazz:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 05 March 2006 - 04:35 AM.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Looks like some good info from Spike. Here's a copy and paste and a link to the page where I got it:

(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

You'll need to scroll down near the bottom of the page to find it......

edit....I would update all of the drivers first and if that doesn't help I would test the memory with memtest86.

here's another link with a lot of info:

Edited by macten, 05 March 2006 - 09:52 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hate to bump a perty old thread, but this issue has resurfaced even more prevailent then before.

I've been home for Summer break, and my internet's been working entirely fine. However the last couple of times I've gone over to my friends house with my laptop to use their wireless...I get a BSOD shortly after I boot-up. I know this has something to do with my Wireless Internet card, because if I restart the computer without the card inserted, everything works fine. Even if I let everything boot up THEN insert the card, shortly after my screen turns to that fateful and infuriating blue; proclaiming everything I've stated above.

I've got the most up-to-date Belkin driver installed...so I'm pretty lost as to how to fix this problem. Any ideas?