Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont recognize...

• Please log in to reply

cbm487

cbm487

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
my video camera. I borrowed it from a friend to film a project and it has a firewire to usb cord to connect it to the computer. But when i plug it in it never shows up, not allowing me to put hte files onto my pc. Ive tried going to add new software and its not working to well. Any advice. Its a samsung and my friend has a cd that came with it but she cant find it. Im thinking thats what i need but is there anyway around needing that?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which model samsung

Has the PC got a firewire port

You cannot buy a FireWire-to-USB cable
If, say, your notebook / laptop computer doesn't have a port for a FireWire (IEEE 1394) lead, but your video camera does, you can't use a FireWire-to-USB cable to link the camera to the computer. There is no such thing, because FireWire and USB are completely different standards; you can't convert the flow of data of one of them into a flow of data for the other.

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ohhh..well it has the smaller end that looks like a usb but smaller then the real usb on the other end of it. Sorry i just thought thats what it was called

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The camera model would help to look up how it is supposed to connect

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
its the samsung SC-X105L
MPEG4 Sports Camcorder

any ideas where to look for advice
?

Edited by cbm487, 04 March 2006 - 07:34 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get the user manual here

http://www.samsung.c...pe=UM&language=

Let me know if it does not help

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
yea i was looking at that earlier. theres about 30 something sections to it. im not sure which section to look in without reading the whole thing. but ill keep looking

would downloading any of the software available at their site help?

nevermind. i have solved it. Thankyou for the help. i had to put the camera in a certain mode.

double edit....it said it didnt install correctly. hmm

Edited by cbm487, 04 March 2006 - 07:42 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So still not working?

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
im downloading both available drivers right now. get back to you in a little when its done

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It seems you need to install the driver and image mixer software

Hope it goes well

Advertisements

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
So i installed image mixer and the patch for it and tried to install the other driver but it says: Continuing the installation of this may impair or destabliilize the function of your computer. It has not passed windows compatibility testing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Samsung manual says to click OK to carry on

A number of programmes do this, and it is a straight choice between using the programme or not

Defragment the drive and set a restore point, install the driver, as per the instructions in the samsung manual

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i did so and installed it and it doesnt do anything when i plug in the camera.
Edit: when i turn on the camera while its in the dock, i set it to PC-Cam. Is this right? The only other mode options are USB mass storage and Pictbridge

Edited by cbm487, 05 March 2006 - 09:26 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I had the manual and it has a section for connecting to the PC and one for the USB modes, if you cannot find it I can get hold of the manual again

Pages 119 onwards

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It wont let me re-download the manual. Their website has been acting funky. Unless the document is saved from previous reading in my acrobat reader i cant see it.