Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not completely clean of the Alemod Virus

• Please log in to reply

RoadRunner52

RoadRunner52

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I found out through some assistance from McAfee that I have the Alemod virus on my system. I paid to get on an on-line char session with them today and they only helped me to the point that they had me copy a corrupted wininet.dll file, but I do not even know if this file is okay now. I tried to get them to help me further because there are still some issues with my machine, and they would not help me since the McAfee virus scan doesn't pick up any more infected files. There are two problems still on my computer and I am not sure to the extent of the damage caused on my system since the people at McAfee only helped me to a certain point.

The two issues are:

1) A small red circle icon with an exclamation point in it appears in the bottom righthand corner of my task bar with the following caption when hovered over it: "Your computer is infected"

2) The wallpaper on my desktop used to be the Dell logo, but now is just white. I read something on the net in a posting I found that said something to the effect that this virus would install something that would override the desktop settings. I am guessing that this is what is causing the problem with my desktop wallpaper??

I am concerned beyond these two items that there is other damage I don't know about since McAfee Virus Scan isn't picking up anymore infected files in the scan and that there may be other files with issues I don't know about on the computer or in the registry. I would really appreciate any help that you can give me!

:tazz:

Thanks,

RoadRunner52

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

RoadRunner52

RoadRunner52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

I am following the recommendations you mentioned above and will post the results once I have them completed.

RoadRunner52

RoadRunner52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I posted a new issue to the section that you recommended and now I am waiting for a reply. I am not sure what to do next. Please let me know if there is anything else I should do.

Thanks,

RoadRunner52