Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message: Error Loading Explorer.exe You Must Reinstall Windows;

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Christie
Ok put the cd in the drive and at D:>dir enter
Does it list any files. If not put a cd in the drive that you know has files and do the same
does it list the files now?

Advertisements

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It shows 2 dir and no files?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
what are the dirs
are you sure the file is on there

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I verified on my working computer that the file is on this disk. I think the problem is that my CD ROM drive isn't drive D. I have 2 CD ROM drives on that computer, I put the disk in both drives and got the same dir listed. But when I try to change to E: or F: i am told that it is invalid.

Christie

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have another cd with information on it that you can put in the drive
and test it also when you dor D: then dir is the light on the front of the cd flashing?

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I put a different CD in both CD-ROM drives, and the same DIR information came up, nothing changed. Also, I noticed that the dates on the DIR information are from 2002, and 2004, so I am guessing that D: is a partition of the hard drive. What I dont understand is why is it when I try to cd to E: or F: i get "invalid drive specification"?
When I put the CD in either CD-ROM drive, the light comes on, so it seems they are working. And they were working before the DLL file came up missing. Uggg.. a new wrinkle in this problem. I am sorry I don't know more about this computer, it belongs to my kids, and I haven't had a need to know how the CD-ROM drives were designated.

Christie

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
basaic is windows needs to load to load the cd rom drivers
the other way is to boot with a floppy that has cd drivers that load at boot time Why do you say your floppy is dead?

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The floppy has been dead for a long time. My husband confirmed that for me. I do have a zip drive on here, if I get a disc for it, will that work?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I doubt if the zip drive would be seen before windows loads
Do you have a disk for it with something on it to check
When the computer starts do you get an error message about the floppy drive
do you have a floppy disc we can test with.
If the floppy is dead your computer should stop and give an error message asking you too press F1 to continue.
Have to go out back in about 2 hours (sorry)

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, this is what I did.

I rebooted the computer with a floppy (with data on it) in the drive. The computer didn't give me the errors you stated, the Windows 98 screen came up, and I got the same errors I have been getting, about the DLL file is missing. Isn't there somewhere in the BIOS (is that the right term?) that I can change the order in which the computer boots? Like now it should be set to check drive A. But can I change it to check drive B first, the zip drive?

:tazz: these computer issues have a way of compounding!

Thanks,
Christie

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Christie
1) Start the computer without the disk in A:
After the computer has started put the floppy in the A: drive
at the prompt c:\windows>a: enter
does this give the A:> prompt ?
If yes A:>dir enter
does this give a lot of files
If you get an a:> then the drive is working if not you will get a message saying Abort fail retry
A enter
this should bring you back to the C:\windows>
You can try the same for the b drive however I am betting you won't see B: as the drivers will most likely have to load after windows loads
There is no use playing with the BIOS you can't boot from a zip drive
We are basically stopped without the floppy drive - but I have not given up yet.
Is this an internal Zip drive ? if yes then !!!!

We really do not need a boot disc as such more of access to a drive - and no same trouble with a flash/thumb drive
I have just found some info about zips
We can try a reg restore but I don't think it will help as the dll we are after is not really a registry item - but

Edited by peterm, 06 March 2006 - 11:05 PM.

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I got the drive fail error for the floppy drive.

Are you talking about reverting to the last known good startup? I went back and tried that before I found this forum. Didn't work, obviously. I don't have a zip disk with me at the moment, so I can't test the B:drive. And yes, it is an internal zip drive.

I am guessing the easiest thing for me to do would be to go out and get a new floppy drive and install it?

Christie

Edited by csepulveda, 06 March 2006 - 10:57 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What country are you in so I can work out the time zone better - if USA what state

csepulveda

csepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am in USA, central time zone. My quiet time on the computer (without the kids harrassing me :tazz: ) is about 10pm-12am CST.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
when you start up and are at the C:\windows> scanreg /restore enter this should give you a list of 5 dates pick one before the trouble
or have you tried this.
Do any of your friends have a zip disk you can borrow but you have to be wary
if the internal zip is 100mb then it will not read a 250mb zip.

2) if this does no work then C:\windows> cd system enter
C:\windows\system> dir msvcrt.dll enter
Does this show the file ?
If yes C:\windows\system>regsvr32 mscvrt.dll (either enter or ok)
If the file is not listed then do not bother with the regsvr line
can you give me a state I have a clock that I can show different times I have New york in there
or if you don't want to are you ahead or behind new yourk time and by how much

Edited by peterm, 07 March 2006 - 12:55 AM.