Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not access Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I can not access Safe Mode when booting. I press F8 but I don't think the keyboard is being read. I have a USB keyboard. I have had this computer for over a year and I have never been able to boot into Safe Mode.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi richocki...

You may have to use a PS2 keyboard for this, but boot into the BIOS setup by tapping the F1 or Delete key during the boot sequence. (It will tell you at the bottom of the first screen wheich key to press to "Enter Setup")

Once in BIOS, you'll want to find the setting for "Legacy USB Support" and enable it. Save the settings when you exit BIOS setup. You should then be able to use your USB keyboard to enter Safe Mode.

wannabe1

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hey wannabe1... busy person tonight!

Someone at worked mentioned the the PS2 keyboard also. I'll give the BIOS change a try. Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...gettin around a bit. :)

Legacy USB is not enabled by default, so that should do the trick for you. :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 March 2006 - 01:42 AM.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
That was it wannabe1. Thanks a bunch. Now I just hope I never need it :tazz:

Edited by richocki, 05 March 2006 - 01:16 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :tazz: