Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sharing files

• Please log in to reply

fobio

fobio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My problem is that I have pc's connected to the dsl modem that can share the Internet with pc's connected to the router but i cannot share any files between them for example pc 1 is trying to send a file to pc 4. File sharing is enabled and no firewalls are on. Can somebody help me on this?

I drew a diagram of my network

Posted Image

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You can't access the PC4 because of the router that is one-way traffic. this search result may help,

Can't access a computer behind a router

How to share two computers separated by a router

Situation: The client just added one wireless router in they network that makes the network as two subnet, 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24.
http://www.chicagote...ehindrouter.htm

fobio

fobio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If I set the router as DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), would that be in any way dangerous for hackers to try to get in the network easily?

Edited by fobio, 05 March 2006 - 07:54 PM.

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
How many ports does the router have???

If it has 4 then try to hook them all up by lan cable.

It worked for me. If its only a 2 port and you have to use the dsl modem, then

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

If I set the router as DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), would that be in any way dangerous for hackers to try to get in the network easily?

Yes.

This is how your network should be setup if you wish to Share Files. (By the way, thanks for the diagram :tazz: -- made things alot easier to understand.)
mynetworkdiagram6rt.jpg

With your current configuration, PC1 will not be able to share files with PC2, PC3 or PC4. PC2 will not be able to share files with PC1, PC3 or PC4. PC3 will be able to share files with PC4, but not PC1 or PC2. PC4 will be able to share files with PC3, but not PC1 or PC2.

fobio

fobio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted Image

As you can see this is the blueprint of my house and the cables are connected outside my room and into another.

The reason why i don't want all the cables to be in the router is because I do not want to have to drill more holes on the wall of the room or make the existing hole larger.

thanks for all your guys help

Edited by fobio, 08 March 2006 - 11:09 PM.