Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

really hot gfx card

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys
recently i have experimented with overclocking my gfx card (radeon 9550 256Mb) so far i have got it to reach a core clock of 375Mhz and a memory clock of 270Mhz

now after having the side of my case opened i decided to run a bechmark with those overclocked settings,
i am using rivatuner and 3d mark to do this, after running the bench mark i decided to touch the card to see what the heat was like now i no this isnt really accurate on how high the temps are but i noticed that the GPU was fine it didnt seem to hot but the memory was really really hot to touch so i stoped the benchmark half way through and let it cool luckly i didnt do to much damage
are these settings pushing it a little to much? the original setting are a core clock of 250Mhz and a memory clock of 200Mhz the card only has a very small heat sink and fan on it so ima little worried that if i still was to overclock then i might damage it.
i hear that this card has the same GPU on it as the radeon 9600 is this correct and does anybody no what the actual specs are of that card?

so to recap am i pushing it to much?
what are the specs of the similar card?

thankyou for your advice
troppo

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi troppo!

The core clock speed of the 9600 is only 325MHz, so yes you are definitely overclocking your video card too much. I suggest you drop the core clock speed down to 325 at the maximum, but I recommend you drop it to 300 or less. As for the memory frequency, the memory frequency on the 9600 is 400MHz, which is the same for the 9550, which you are using. So I would leave it at 200MHz and don't OC it at all and see how things go, then raise it maybe 5MHz and test it again and see how stable your computer is or isn't until you reach the level that gives the most improvement without destabilizing your computer and/or damaging your video card.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 March 2006 - 06:52 AM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok thanks for the reply
i am using riviatuner to overclock it when i try to do this with the sliders the pics of the memory and GPU show a caution symbol i dont no what this is or what it is telling me,
also the little black indicators below the sliders what are they for?

screen shot is attached
thanks

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the reply
i am using rivia tuner to overclock the vid card and when i try this the pictures of the GPu and memory display caution symbols what does this mean?

also under the sliders are little black indicators of some sort what are theese are they were the card should be overclocked to?
screenshot is attached

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the reply
i am using rivia tuner to overclock the vid card and when i try this the pictures of the GPu and memory display caution symbols what does this mean?

also under the sliders are little black indicators of some sort what are theese are they were the card should be overclocked to?
screenshot is attached

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the reply

screenshot is attached

sorry net is srewing up soryy for the mutiple posts its late and im tired :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Anytime it shows a caution symbol you are doing something that could damage your system, so don't do it. :tazz: As for the attachment, there is none.

Fenor

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i no im sorry the website wasnt working for me it only shows the caution symbol when the specs are at there normal position but when i overclock it the caution symbol disapears

maybe this link will work hopefully

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ni didnt work i dont no whats going on
i have a screen shot how can i add it to a post cause when i place the target in the box and hit add this attachment it loads for ages then doesnt work can i add it staright to the post?
sorry for all of this rubbish

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is the file a bitmap? (.bmp extension) Could be the file is too big for you to upload. Open the file in paint and then click FILE-->SAVE AS and choose the SAVE AS TYPE as a JPEG, JPG file. That will drastically reduce the size of the file. You can also try zipping the picture and then adding it as an attachment.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 March 2006 - 07:24 AM.

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
You might want to actually check the temperature. Get ATi Tool which can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/. Once installed, turn on temperature monitoring in the options and then you should see 3 little boxes on the main screen (bottom left). The middle one is your GPU temperature (in Celcius) and the bottom one would be your memory temperature. Once you know your temperatures, reply to this topic with them.

Otherwise I would not advise you to overclock and fairly old card which probably doesn't have a fan (?). You are definetly in risk of damaging your graphics card. Just keep in mind that overclocking does not damage your components; it's the heat caused by overclocking that will damage them. If you don't have the money to replace broken components, I would suggest not to risk such things.

Good luck,
Matt

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Rivatuner has temp monitering there isnt any need for ATI tool.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i dont think the card actually has temp monitoring on it i have never seen any stats its a pretty old type of card

yes it does have a heatsink and a fan on it but the fan is not much chop i dont think
ok i have saved it as jpeg lets see if this works sorry for all the bad posts
here we go

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ah finally worked thaks guys
anyidea on what it is?

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Alright. My guess is that the caution symbol is the actualy picture. It may be there to warn you that overclocking is not always safe. I am not sure, I'll try that program.