Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Working on Computer

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
It has come to my attention that when working on the inside of a computer, whether for installilng sound cards, ram chips, etc that one should use an Anti-static Wrist Band. I do not have access to one of these, but a technician has told me that if one leaves the power supply cord attached(with computer turned off of course) one could merely touch the chasis and not to shuffle one's feet while handling components. Is there another way of removing bodily static. Where my computer is located, there is only two-wire circuitry.

Waynf

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should always disconnect from the power source when working inside the machine. Some motherboards continue in a "semi-powered on" state even when the machine is off...particularly if the board is APM enabled.

Try to work in a "Static free" environment...that is, not on a carpeted floor for example. Be sure to touch a metal part of the case before reaching inside...this will dischage any static to the chassis ground.

wannabe1

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do you get a lot of static in your house? The newer computer components are built to better withstand static electricity. I have built new and tore apart many older computers all over my house. It doesnt matter if im on the hardwood floor or the rugs, int the kitchen, living room, bedroom or family room. I don't leave the puters plugged into the wall sockets and i do make sure the first thing i do is touch the computer case where there is bare metal( non-painted). I also usually will hold onto the case while i am taking cards and hardware out of the case. I have not had a problem with static electricity for some years now.

SRX660