Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard problem, PCI Express slot

• Please log in to reply

karlbond88

karlbond88

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi everyone,

My dad has recently built a HTPC, and he keeps stealing my monitor and keyboard because his GFX card wont work.

Before he used to use the onboard grahics which was a Geforce 6150, but he has not but in a PCI-E 16X Geforce 6600 256MB and now his Plasma TV won't show anything, but my CRT monitor goes to standby when i plug that into the 6600.

I had this problem with my AGP 6600 before, but mine is ok now, we have tried everything, can someone please help as soon as possible, because he has spent the whole weekend trying to get it to work, but no suscess.

Here is what i know of his spec:

ASUS A8N-VM Motherboard (i think)
1GB RAM
Geforce 6600 256MB PCI-Express 16X

Thanks...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Have you tried inserting the PCI-E card but connecting the monitor to the onboard video card instead of the PCI-E? If the system boots up OK this way, then you need to do the following :

Go into the bios (As soon as the LED on the monitor turns green, press the DEL key repeatedly at 3 second intervals)
Go to the Advanced menu, then select the Northbridge configuration->NvigpBridge/C51G Chipset configuration->Primary graphics adapter

Change this setting to PCI->PCI express->IGP

Save the changes & shutdown the computer. Connect the monitor to the PCI-E card & boot up. This time it should work.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Wrong refresh rate setting and resolution could cause all that including kill the monitor.
Check and find out what your monitors support and reset your vid setting

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Welcome to G2G

Have you tried inserting the PCI-E card but connecting the monitor to the onboard video card instead of the PCI-E? If the system boots up OK this way, then you need to do the following :

Go into the bios (As soon as the LED on the monitor turns green, press the DEL key repeatedly at 3 second intervals)
Go to the Advanced menu, then select the Northbridge configuration->NvigpBridge/C51G Chipset configuration->Primary graphics adapter

Change this setting to PCI->PCI express->IGP

Save the changes & shutdown the computer. Connect the monitor to the PCI-E card & boot up. This time it should work.

Thanks for your reply but I have connected the monitor to the onboard video card whilst the Graphics card is still in the PCi-E slot but still get nothing on the screen. I cannot get into the bios as there is no image displayed. I have checked the settings in bios whilst using the onboard graphics and the settings are already PCI-PCI express-IGP.

Also I have told windows to disable the on board graphics, then I have shut down and then started up with the new card in the PCI-E slot but still nothing. Someone please help this is driving me mad. I have just bought this card from ebay so I'm a little bit concerned that I cannot get it working, although the seller has 100% positive feedback.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Wrong refresh rate setting and resolution could cause all that including kill the monitor.
Check and find out what your monitors support and reset your vid setting

I have set the resolution and refresh rates so that I get the correct picture on the Plasma with the onboard graphics but then when I fit the the new card in the PCI-E slot and start up I cannot see anything on screen whatsoever.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you been able to test the PCI-E card in another system to make sure that it's not the card thats faulty?

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Have you been able to test the PCI-E card in another system to make sure that it's not the card thats faulty?

afraid not, my dad took the card into PCWorld today and they said they couldn't put it in one of their computers as he didn't buy it from them, how pathetic is that.

i havn't got a clue what it could be

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A proper computer shop would be able to do it, if you check round some friends see if any of them have a compatible pc they would let you try it on.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I realise that this is a bit of a long shot, but it's worth checking :

Make sure that the PCI-E card is properly inserted in the slot. By that I mean that it is fully & evenly inserted along the length of the slot.

Apart from that, I don't really know what else to suggest other than try & find a way of testing the card in another system. Until you do that, you won't know whether it's the card or the motherboard thats the problem.

I've checked for known issues & bios updates on Asus's website in regards to this motherboard but I couldn't find anything relevant.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

A proper computer shop would be able to do it, if you check round some friends see if any of them have a compatible pc they would let you try it on.

Spoke to a proper pc shop today and they wanted £25 +vat to check it (Min charge). I paid £64 plus postage for the card so don't want to spend another £30 to find out if it's ok or not.

If it isn't ok then I will want to get a refund but as I have already spent £11 on postage plus if I then pay £30 to test it's ok that will mean a total of ££41. I may as well do nothing, assume it is broken and try to get my money back through Paypal. Unless of course I can try to find a mate who has a mobo with PCI-E, trouble is they all have older systems with AGP slots.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I realise that this is a bit of a long shot, but it's worth checking :

Make sure that the PCI-E card is properly inserted in the slot. By that I mean that it is fully & evenly inserted along the length of the slot.

Apart from that, I don't really know what else to suggest other than try & find a way of testing the card in another system. Until you do that, you won't know whether it's the card or the motherboard thats the problem.

I've checked for known issues & bios updates on Asus's website in regards to this motherboard but I couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks for your efforts. I have ensured the card is fully home the whole of it's length. I think I can only assume it to be faulty. I wonder where I stand on this? Bought it on ebay and paid through Paypal. The seller has been notified I have a problem and he has said that i should get back to him and he will attempt an insurance claim with Royal Mail. Surely he should refund me my money and then take this matter up with Royal Mail and not leave me waiting on the outcome of any claim? Advice please, anyone use ebay with any regularity?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I am NOT an expert on Ebay but as far as I know, this is where you stand...

IF you bought the card from a trader on Ebay (as opposed to a private individual) then you are entitled to a refund directly from the trader (cite the Sale of goods act at him if he refuses). He may request that you send the card back to him first though of course, before refunding the money.

If however, you bought the card from a private seller, then you really don't have much of a leg to stand on I'm afraid. All you can do if he doesn't refund the money, is to give him a negative feedback rating. You also inform Ebay themselves, I believe, but they won't necessarily be able to do very much.

BTW, if anyone knows more about this than me, then please correct what I have said if I'm wrong.