Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB PORT PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

oxocats

oxocats

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a gateway Solo Laptop which was working fine until last night. Now somehow the USB port/jack for my optical mouse will not allow me to plug in my mouse. Any suggestions how to a square peg in round hole? What could the problem be? Is it possible to replace the USB port/jack on the laptop, if that is what the problem is? Can a novice open a laptop like a driver tower and install a new USB ort?

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Is it physically blockage?

Edited by mcpscomp, 05 March 2006 - 10:40 AM.

oxocats

oxocats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The plug does not fit into the slot. I know it was in that slot. Could it be that thee was adapter that might have fallen out when I traveled with the laptop. Could something be bent inside that would prevent the plug from fitting in?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I have never seen any body physicaly damage the female port. What I seen few time was the white tab that belong to the male broke off inside and stuck there. if so, get a safety pin poke it out. unless you have kids and what hapen to my friend was his kid shuff things in there and the solution will be the same.
For your question about replacing the port, the answer is YES. It's fairely easy if you know how to soldering. All you have to do is find the way to open the machine, find a old motherboard with a USB port, take it out and switch to your. half hour for pro and couple hours for every boy else.
Good luck.

Edited by mcpscomp, 06 March 2006 - 12:09 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just to put my two cents here....any time computer repair involves a soldering iron....don't do it...UNLESS you know what you're doing...the only people who should be soldering on a motherboard are those who are proffessionals...or those with lot's of money to throw away on new boards....modern boards are generally multilayer with all kinds of funky traces going to and from places without you even knowing....(i'm sure you had no intention of pulling out the soldering iron here...i just wanted to make sure this was known)

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Yeh, I guess Dsenette right. I forgot all bout how I started. Let me correct it: You can do it only if you know exactly what you doing. not hard but you could make it worst.