Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager showing 2 display adapters

• Please log in to reply

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After XP was re-installed recently on my P IV, I noticed under Device Manager <Display Adapters<Asus Radeon A9200SE and Asus Radeon A9200SE Secondary. I do not have another display or monitor connected. But I have 2 separate drives and XP is installed on one and the other is free. This bothers me. Why ? When Nero starts, I get a message : Hardware accelaration is deactivated..You can activate ..using the Diect X Diagnostics Tools. As suggested in another forum, I have tried to reset the Hardware accelaration, to none, in my Display properties, without success. Are these 2 things related ?
Any suggestions ? Thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

My Radeon also shows 2 display adapters. I think this is normal for this driver as I've seen it on several machines using Radeons. I wouldn't worry about it.

The hardware acceleration Nero is notifying you about may be DMA. Are your drives DMA enabled. You can find out if you look in Device manager and check IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Make sure the Primary and Secondary channels are set to DMA if available.

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi There,
Cannot locate DMA as you suggested in either channels. Did DMA appear under the CD-Rom drives in Win SE ?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

After XP was re-installed recently on my P IV, I noticed under Device Manager <Display Adapters<Asus Radeon A9200SE and Asus Radeon A9200SE Secondary. I do not have another display or monitor connected.

It's supposed to do that.

But I have 2 separate drives and XP is installed on one and the other is free. This bothers me. Why ? When Nero starts, I get a message : Hardware accelaration is deactivated..You can activate ..using the Diect X Diagnostics Tools. As suggested in another forum, I have tried to reset the Hardware accelaration, to none, in my Display properties, without success. Are these 2 things related ?

Start Menu -> Run -> type in DxDiag. Press Enter.

Go to to the Display tab and turn on the three features in the DirectX features.

Then go back to that Hardware Acceleration section you've turned down to None, and crank it back up to full.

Now restart. This won't change the fact that two display adaptors appear in Device Manager (this is a feature of ATI graphics cards) but should sort Nero out.

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thnks for yr response. The Direct X features are " Disable & grayed out " and Not available. It suggests also to check the latest driver from the manufacturer !

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
https://support.ati.....asp?deptID=894

get your drivers there

clcik DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE > WINDOWS XP DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE > RADEON >Catalyst 6.2 Windows XP - Driver Download

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Makai, Neil Jones, gerryf.
What else can I say ? Thanks very much.