Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista/games ready new build

• Please log in to reply

level

level

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
[font=Arial]Dear All,

Please help me build a new computer, which i need in order to replace my current Compaq d530 SFF. I would like it to be Vista ready and be able to handle the latest games with ease. :tazz:

I also have a compaq dc7600, and I would like to take P4 HT processor, the 512MB RAM (DDR2 SDRAM PC2-4200) and the HD (80GB) from the dc7600 and use them to build a new pc in a ATX size case (which will take a proper PCI-E graphics card). I have not got a lot of money to spend (the less the bettwer) , but I am prepared to pay a little bit more for a part if it is really worth the money. One more thing: I am based in the UK, so I can't order from ant US website (I would really like to, but they don't deliver to the UK as far as I know). So I will probably do all my orders from here http://beta.ebuyer.c.../rb/16838164852 .

Firstly, I would be grateful if you could please help me chose from the following mobos: :)

Asus P5VD1-X SKT775 PT880 1066FSB AGP and PCI-E VGA slots
£38.94 Inc. VAT

MSI 915PL Neo-F SKT775 Dual DDR400 PCI-E ATX
£45.77 Inc. VAT

ECS RC410L/800-M socket 775 DDR2 PCI-E 6channel audio mATX
£46.03 Inc. VAT

ASRock (775DUAL-915GV) LGA 775 INTEL 915GV Chipset FSB 800/533 DDR - DDRII AGP PCI-E VGA 8 Channel SOUND LAN MATX
£49.99 Inc. VAT

Albatron PX915P-2V LGA 775 Intel 915P - ICH6 800MHz FBS ATX SATA II PCI-E
£51.99 Inc. VAT

ECS 945P-A(2.0) socket 775 SLI DDR2 PCI-E 6channel audio
£58.50 Inc. VAT

ECS PF88 socket 775 DDR2 PCI-E 8 channel audio ATX
£59.28 Inc. VAT

Abit GD8 SKT775 Intel 915P/ICH6 Chipset Dual DDR400 PCI-E SATA ATX
£60.02 Inc. VAT

Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF SKT 775 PCI-E Audio USB2.0 VGA
£65.99 Inc. VAT

Abit LG-81 SKT775 Intel 945G/ICH7 Express Chipset DDR2 667Mhz FSB1066Mhz PCI-E SATA MATX
£71.96 Inc. VAT

Asus P5LD2-VM SKT775 I945g Chipset MATX - Vga Snd GB-LAN USB2 FSB1066 SATA PCI-E
£78.84 Inc. VAT

Sapphire Pure Crossfire II Radeon Xpress 200P SKT775 PP-I7RD400 Dual DDR400 PCI-E ATX
£78.99 Inc. VAT

Asus P5GD1 PRO SKT775 I915p ATX - PCI-E DDR400 Gblan USB2 GSB800 SATA
£80.29 Inc. VAT

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE Gamers motherboard P4 SKT775 PCI-E X16 graphic slot On-Board 7.1 Channel Audio 1066FSB Dual Channel DDR2 Dual LAN

SATA RAID - Retail Boxed
£83.98 Inc. VAT

Gigabyte GA-8I945P Pro SKT775 1066FSB DDRll PCI-E SATA
£85.67 Inc. VAT

Abit AL8 SKT775 PCI-E FSB1066 7.1audio retail box
£90.00 Inc. VAT

ASUS P5WD2 PREMIUM SKT775 1066FSB Intel 955x Chipset PCI-E DDR2-800 Dual GB-LAN Dual RAID
£135.89 Inc. VAT

Abit AW8 MAX LGA775 FSB1066 PCI-E DDR2 Retail Box
£139.98 Inc. VAT

Asus P5ND2-SLI/Deluxe nForce 4 Skt 775 Dual SLI PCI-E GB-LAN 1394 USB2 8ch.audio SATA/RAID ATX
£151.25 Inc. VAT

Asus P5WD2-E Premium 975 x LGA 775 2 X PCI-E 16x
£167.76 Inc. VAT

Secondly, please let me know what you think about this case: http://beta.ebuyer.c...oduct_uid=90900 .

The power supplies which I was looking at are this one: http://beta.ebuyer.c...duct_uid=102993 or this one (although I am not sure it is worth the extra money) http://beta.ebuyer.c...oduct_uid=98562

As for graphics cards, this is what Ebuyer has got: http://beta.ebuyer.c.../Graphics-Cards . Which one would you suggest? :)

This is about it. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

LVL

:)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So im a little confused as to what you are wanting do you want a wholy new system(as given your current useage needs for a PC an AMD cpu would be more appropriate) or do you want to upgrade and old PC keeping the CPU and ram but changing the mobo and case. Try reading some reviews on the boards that way you can tell for yourself what will be best for you.

Also i dont know what website that is but youll find the REAL ebuyer at www.ebuyer.co.uk also try overclockers, scan or komplett

level

level

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Many thanks for your reply. To answer your question: I would like to build a brand new pc, but because I have the P4 HT CPU and don't have a lot of money to spend on a new CPU, i tought i would use it (together with the HD, and the RAM if compatible with the new mobo) for the purpose of the new build.

Your understanding is therefore correct: I want to end up with a new case (fans, power supply), a new mobo with pci-e, and a new graphics card, but I would like to keep my P4 HT CPU, the HD, and the RAM.

I would be grateful for your help in chosing the right components, particularly the mobo, and the graphics card. Depending on how much money I will be spending on the case and the mobo, we will then look at the other parts to see what I can scavenge from my old pc, and what would be worth buying afresh.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

LVL

PS: As for ebuyer, you are right, the links in my topic is to ebuyer's new/beta website, but the company/source is obviously the same. Thanks for the other suggestions: are their prices as competitive as those on ebuyer?

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Case is good just make sure its got good cooling

level

level

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks FuM. I was not sure whether to go for a Midi one or a full atx one, becuase on one habd I would ike to save some space, and on the other I don't want to have cooling or other similar problems.

I would be grateful if you could be more specific on the subject of cooling: would cooling depend on what mobo i decide to go for, or can it be independent from it?

Another question for warriorscot and all of you in general: warriorscot sugested that i go for an amd; i did consider going for an amd but i decided to stick to intel beuase, as I said, I happen to have a spare one whcih is not too old and woudl save me some money if i could use it. However, do you think than it is worth trying to sell what I've got now in order to raise the money which i would need to buy an amd?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it depends on what the P4 is whats its model number and speed, you can use CPU-Z to find out. The thing about AMD for a new budget system as while being the more suitable cpu and better performer in that role they are much cheaper, but if the p4 is a good speed and has a decent cache then its worth keeping, To get a good mobo the best thing is to go on websites like Hexus or tomshardware and read the reviews and that way you can make an informed decision on what board you want and if youre willing to fork out more money for more features. The ram will probably just be cheap generic and 512Mb isnt alot so you might be as well gettting new stuff entirely.

level

level

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks a lot. Will have a look at those sites and others that I can find. I have been doing this for some time now, but still can't really decide yet as to which mobo to go for. I would not like to spend more than £100 tops for it though...

On the other hand, this looks like a nice mobo: http://www.hexus.net...m.php?item=4019 - although i haven't yet read the entire review.

BTW: Do you know any sites that will show a top of the best soket 775 mobos? I mean reviews are good, but I would like to be able to have a table of the main features and ratings instead of having to read review by review...

level

level

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
One more thing: which chipset? 975x, 955x, etc?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cant say i know a site that does im sure one exists though try google, dont look at intel very much i dont like there desktop CPUs and i dont like the way they do business so i tend to only glance at the intel stuff to see whats current, to be honest chipset wise whatevers cheapest and has what you need on it.