Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i connect my sony Audio system to the pc

• Please log in to reply

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
How do i connect my sony hcd-vx55 system to my pc. My pc is Windows Xp sp2, Onboard sound and video card. 2.9GHZ Intel Original, Intel 82865GBF, 160gb pata seagate and 40 gb pata samsung.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

It depends on what it is you're trying to do. Are you trying to play audio from the PC through the amp & stereo speakers?

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
i want to know both.

1. How to connect only speakers
2. How to connect amp (including speakers)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
To connect the PC to an amplifier (with the speakers attached to the amp), you need a mini jack to 2 phono (male) lead, like the one in the picture below :

mini_jack_phono.jpg

The mini-jack plug connects to the line out socket on your sound card, the twin phono plugs connect to the AUX port (or CD or Tuner port) on the rear of your amplifier.

You cannot connect your stereo speakers directly to the computer because they are (I assume) non-powered & the computer requires an amplifier of some description in order to make the sound audible. This is why computer speakers have built in amps.

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
thanx a lot brother for your gr8 advice. Got the connector and it works all fine.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Great, glad you've got it working. I've got same setup myself at home, with my PC connected to a 360W amplifier & a SCSI 5 disc CD changer in the computer.

In case you haven't worked this out, you can also connect that cable directly to the headphone socket on the front of your CD/DVD drive in the PC, instead of the sound card's line out socket. This way you can play music CDs through the amp & speakers but without all the Windows sounds (such as the startup jingle etc) being piped at loud volume through the same system!

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
thanx man but now my problem is i do not have the connection cord long enough to connect them. I have to move the whole case whenever i have to connect. :tazz:(. But atleast i got it connected. if you how to extend it plz do tell me

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you can't find a long enough cable then simply buy a normal phono cable (2 x phono [male] on both ends) of the right length. These are easier to find because they are the ones used normally for connecting stereo components together.
Then all you need is a twin phono coupler (see pic below) to join the two cables together

phonocoupler.jpg

Alternatively, if you can find one long enough, just buy a phono cable which has 2 x phono [male] on one end & 2 x phono [female] on the other. This way you won't need the coupler.

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
thanx a lot ill look into it and see what i can do. Thanx a million.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. Let me know how you get on