Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD and fire proof safe.

• Please log in to reply

ClickCardo

ClickCardo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm thinking of getting a Sentry fire proof safe to protect my Maxtor OneTouch II from fire and theft. Does anybody KNOW or THINK it would be effective in either case?

Please be sure to state KNOW or THINK in your reply.

Thanks.
CC

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
A fire proof safe can protect items from heat, but you also need to consider damage from fumes from the fire which can also damage items, as well as condensatiion (many safes have a small heater to keep air circulating and not too cold). If you put it in the safe, you might want to also put it in an airtight container.

Years ago I talked to someone who had a fire and while the items in the safe were not directly harmed in the fire, the smoke damage was extensive to items in the safe.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I don't know if the safe will protect it or not.

I own a Sentry safe with the electronic keyboard. I didn't know this at the time but if the electronics fail, I have to break into the safe. I was just at OfficeMax and noticed that Sentry is also selling safes with the old dial/combination lock. This is a better way to go.

Just an idea....you might want to look into an airtight/waterproof box to put the drive in. And put the box in the safe.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....are you wanting to disconnect the drive then put it in the safe...or have the contraption running...while also in the safe?

ClickCardo

ClickCardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was looking at the Sentry A3810 which was a reasonable $250/135lbs. Somebody on another forum told media I would need MEDIA rated fireproof to keep the heat low enough to prevent damage. They gave me a link to FireKing safe make that has a MEDIA rated equivelant but that sucker is almost 300lbs. Do not know how I'd get it in my apartment and situated.

Good point about the electronic lock. I also wondered what happens if you let the batteries run out.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I was looking at the Sentry A3810 which was a reasonable $250/135lbs. Somebody on another forum told media I would need MEDIA rated fireproof to keep the heat low enough to prevent damage. They gave me a link to FireKing safe make that has a MEDIA rated equivelant but that sucker is almost 300lbs. Do not know how I'd get it in my apartment and situated.

Good point about the electronic lock. I also wondered what happens if you let the batteries run out.

300lbs is not much, just use a dolly or hand truck. You need mass to protect the contents.

Most safes with the electronic lock have the batteries outside the safe.

wphalvorson_70

wphalvorson_70

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can answer what happens when the batteries die in a Sentry Safe: The safe does not open. I didn't open it often enough, and my batteries died and corroded a bit. I was fortunate enough to get the safe open after cleaning the battery container, and trying several times to open. I set the handle in locked position after opening it to ensure I didn't accidentally lock it shut again. The major problem I had/have with the safe is that even with fresh batteries, and even though the correct combination is entered, the safe no longer unlocks the handle. It shows that the safe should be unlocked, but with the handle still locked, it is impossible to open again. The stupid safe comes with a key also, but it's an additional lock , not something that can be used to open it if the electronic lock fails. And Sentry Safe has worthless customer support.

Now I am looking for any tips on how to best dispose of the safe. I don't want to just send it to landfill, but the guys at a local safe shop say most recyclers won't accept safes because they are not worth the effort of cutting them apart.

Conventional dial combinations are a much better option in my opinion unless it can also be opened with a key. Good luck to anybody with a Sentry Electronic safe.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Now I am looking for any tips on how to best dispose of the safe.

boat anchor? lift blocks for doing car repairs? flower pot?

jabsolutions

jabsolutions

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Jab Solutions professional locksmith services for Melbourne metro area. Buy a Fireproof safe online from us or use our locksmith expertise to install wireless access control systems. Call now on (03) 8390 8390