Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless internet equipment

• Please log in to reply

myys

myys

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm a novice. I have a laptop, Dell inspiron Windows XP. I've been inquiring about going wireless. The sales persons at one store claim, I would need a router, adapter & a pc card. I don't plan on networking, I only have one computer. Is all this necessary?

What's needed for me to go wireless, economically?

Thanking you in advance,

myys

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wireless for....what?

Do you already have an internet connection? wireless for use in coffee shops?

What model Dell?

myys

myys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I travel & need to have a wireless connection at this time I have dial up.
As a novice I don't even know where to look to the slot where the pc card would go. My laptop is Dell inspiron Pentium III Windows XP. Some of the places I travel I don't want to use dial up. On trains & Planes.

I do hope I've given you enough info, if not just let me know.

Thank you for your speedy response,

myys

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In order to use another person/company/hotel/airpoirt/coffee shop internet access, you will need only a wireless card

You did not supply the model of the Dell as asked so I cannot tell you what kind of wireless card you need

Most laptops come with a pcmcia slot, so you can purchase somethign like this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833124110

The other alternative is a usb wireless device, like this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833150018

That is all you need to hook up....but note that you are hooking up to someone else's wireless provider.

Many hotels offer wireless internet access to guests for free, as do more than a few retailers.

You will not be able to simply plug on of these in and surf the net from your home

The salesman was either confused, or thought you had a broadband network, which is why you would need a router.

strictor

strictor

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Interesting that the other posts were deleted. What's that all about?

myys

myys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 4100. I want to be able to access the internet using my own ISP. There is no cable or dsl in one of the areas I'll be located.

Thank you for your time,

Myys

strictor

strictor

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
If you have no DLS or Cable then you more than likely do not have an access point. An access point is basically a way to get on the internet (DSL, Cable). I was speaking of wireless in your home network. If what you desire is wireless through a local provider by outdoor wireless broadcasts (i.e. cel phone towers, satellite), then contact your local provider. This would allow you to have wireless wherever you go in town, if it is possible to get in your area.

myys

myys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you! I only have the laptop. I will contact my local office. At this time I'm in a rural area in South Carolina which can't access dsl due to the location. Basically, I want wireless due to my traveling to various cities, the rural area is the real problem.

Again, Thank you,

Myys