Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Connections

• Please log in to reply

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Pip
  • 9 posts
my laptops wireless network connection keeps disconnecting. It keeps telling me that one or more wireless networks are available. When I connect to my network, it works for about 5 mins and disconnects. What can I do? It keeps showing me my neighbors connections (sometimes it connects to them), when I reconnect to my network and it stays connected for about for 5 mins. This all started after I restored my computer. It seems like my laptop keeps finding my neighbors wireless networks and bumps me off mine. How can I tell it to only stay connected to my network?

Advertisements

strictor

strictor

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
This may not be a fix, but if you double click the wireless bars in your startup screen (lower right), make sure your connection is on top of the list. There are options to move your connection to the top, in order to be the preferred network for access.

In my wireless network, when you click "Advanced" click "Access Point (Infrastructure) Networks Only (the middle radio button). I do remember when I setup my wireless this radio button was something they said to click.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
And tell your neighbor to set up his wireless security a little better unless you two share networks.

Ron