Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
my uncle's computer keeps getting this bsod on startup with the ff code:

0x000000ED (0x80E20E30, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

i think it said Unmountable_boot_volume, or some such...read about it in one of the BSOD definition posts in the forums but there doesn't seem to be any resolutions. Anyway, we're pretty certain the kids messed it up from inside Windows, with the keyboard. Checked the system unit and everything seems to be untouched... any suggestions? thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi neverborn...

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and choosing the option for "Last known good configuration", or will it even let you get that far?

wannabe1

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
yes, tried that got as far as the option screen (the one that lets you choose from safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, etc...), but after the drivers are shown i get the blue screen again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I've had that experience a lot with a laptop my teacher gave me. It's hard drive was failing due to damage from overheating. When I got that message, all I had to do was turn it off and wait until the next day. It would start working again...at least for a while.

Did you hear any strange noises coming from your computer just before this message appeared for the first time? Something like clicking?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about the command prompt option? Can you get to the command prompt? Do you have the XP installation cd?

Sorry about all the questions....first steps in troubleshooting are to determine the scope of the problem and what options you have available.... :tazz:

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
computerwiz12890: dunno bout the clicking sound as i wasn't there when the pc crashed...i suspect they've tried restarting it several times over before i even got there... as for the hard drive, well, the pc's fairly new (january this year?)...

wannabe1: hey, questions qelcome! :tazz: glad you're helping out... how exactly do i get to the command prompt? i think he has the cd, but im not really sure...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When booting to the Safe Mode options, there should be an option to boot to a command prompt or command prompt only...something to that effect. If the cd is available to us, we can boot to a command prompt using Recovery Console off the cd.

We have several other options available with the cd, as well.

Let me know if you can get a command prompt through Safe Mode Options.

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
ok. will probably get back to you tomorrow already, though...thanks again.

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
um, just in case i CAN get into the console, what do i do next? just so the rest of the day doesn't get wasted?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi neverborn....

If you can get to the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and press "Enter". This should start the System Restore feature. Restore to a time before all this began.

OR

Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Type Y to let it run an the next reboot and press "Enter". Reboot. This is a long check...be patient.

wannabe1

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
right. didnt get a chance to look the comp over as i had to work til late...will get back to you tomorrow on it. thanks again.

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
wannabe1,
im back...so here's what i've done so far:

got into the command prompt, and ran "chkdsk /r". took a while, but after the scan i was able to get into windows normally. Yay!

also did the "sfc /scannow" thingy just to be safe, that went fine too.

HOWEVER, i've noticed a lot of things aren't working [or looking] the way they should. here are some of those things:

-Microsoft Word can't save. when you click or press alt-f-a[save as], nothing happens. the save dialog box doesn't appear. If you try to close Word, the prompt pops up[asking if you wanna save the changes to the document], but even if you click 'yes', nothing happens either. checked Notepad, save works fine.

-when first logging in[after boot up], the UI is a cross between the XP style and the classic one. You get the rounded corners of the luna style, but the insides of the boxes[say task manager, explorer bars] are grey.

-you know how the system folders[eg c:]' contents are hidden by default, but can be shown by clicking on the 'show the contents of this folder' tag? when i refresh the window the contents get hidden again. this doesn't happen on my own machine...

-windows media player doesn't load. open it from the start-programs-accessories-entertainment-WMP, nothing happens.

would you say i'd need to format and reistall xp? cos i thought the system file checker's supposed to fix everything...

thanks again for all your help! :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
neverborn...

Microsoft Word can't save: Repair the Office installation. Go to Control Panel and open Add or Remove Programs. Find Microsolft Office in the list and select it. Click on "Change". In the next window, click on "Repair"...follow the prompts.

the UI is a cross between the XP style and the classic one: From Control Panel, open "Display". Under the "Appearance" tab, in the "Color Scheme" drop down menu, select "Default (Blue)" and "Apply" the change.

when i refresh the window the contents get hidden again: From Control Panel, open "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, check the box next to "Display the contents of system folders" and "Apply" the change.

windows media player doesn't load: Uninstall and reinstall the Media Player. In Add or Remove Programs, select Windows Media Player and click on "Remove". It will roll back to a previous version. Once complete, download and install Media Player 10.

Let me know if these steps help.

wannabe1

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hi wannabe1,

did everything you said, and everything was fixed except for the UI part..I applied the Blue theme and it reverted okay, but after bootup[succeeding ones] everything's messed up again and i have to manually 'reapply' it... any ideas? thanks...

oh yeah, just curious- was my post deleted on that other guy's topic(slow bootup time[1 min]) cos we're not allowed to ask follow up questions? i haven't taken offense, just wanted to know. :tazz:

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
oh sorry bout that found my post somewhere else... :tazz: