Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleting operating system

• Please log in to reply

bhancock3

bhancock3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i bought an old laptop off of ebay with no operating system. i tried to load an old windows98 cdrom i had with no authorization number. it loaded 98 but would not start. i then purchased a windows 2000 cd with a legal authorization number. my new error message says 98 is my operating system and my 2000 cd is for computers with no operating systems. i was unable to completely load 98 but theres enough loaded to not allow me to run my 2000 cd. how do i delete the 98 to start all over

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello bhancock3 and welcome to G2G!

Boot the laptop with the Windows 2000 CD in and it should boot from the CD.
During the setup process it will give you an option to format (wipe) the drive.

bhancock3

bhancock3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the help, it tells me i will be formatting my drive but i end up getting an error message su0168 computer already has operating system

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have nothing you need on the drive, an option is to use Boot and Nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/