Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POWER ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

m@lcximvs

m@lcximvs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[size=6]

A month ago my system just shut off itself. I thought rebooting will solve the problem. But i noticed that it did not completely shut off because the fans and the cathode ligths are still on. Nothing is on the screen, there's no hard drive activity and the ethernet pilot light is off too. Everything is off except for the cathodes and the fans. I thought my system was totally done because it's been almost a year since i last cleaned it off of dust and the inside was really full of it from the cpu heatsink, fans, hardrive, optical drives, the rams and the base itself is filled with dustballs. I thought i fryed it and since it's a 3 yr. old system i decided to buy a new motherboard and a cpu. Today i just finished installing the board and cpu and it's totally dust free. When i switched on the toggle at back of the power supply, it did the same thing. It seems that it bypassed the power button in front of the case. The fans, heatsink fans and cathodes are on. But nothing came out of the screen, i.e. no system activity. QUESTION : Do i have a power supply problem or is it the electrical wirings in my case which is giving me a headache. Did it fry my whole system. Please, i need help. ANYONE !!! :tazz:

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would have routinely replaced the power supply to rule it out as the cause. Sometimes a PS will have power, just not enough amps on the 12 volt line to run everything. A lot of the PS's are marginal at best. In my shop i have 4 PS's that will only get 11.4 to 11.9 volts on the 12 volt line and this causes either OS lockups or nonboots on the puters. I usually buy thermotake or seasonic ps's from newegg for arounf $40. It can depend on the PS, but i have had them burn the motherboard on some computers. Other puters the PS just failed while still running the fans and replacing the PS fixed them. You just never know.

SRX660