Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I AM FURIOUS, my computer doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
alright well here's the story, i'm on my computer alot and i've had problems, i've posted on here many times and usually the problems are fixed, this problem isn't your fault if thats what you think i'm getting at.
I have an HP pavilion mx703
it runs on windows xp
and if you need more stats then that i can give them

well anyway, my computer was on i was enjoying it as i do, talking to ppl on the internet, i had to go out so i put up an away message and turned off the monitor and left the computer on for when i got back, so i got back it was in stand by mode (does that after an hour) usually i just move the mouse it takes me to the log in scree and everything is fine. this time i takes me to a black screen and says something about boot error, pls insert boot up disk, i'm like :tazz: . so i turn off the computer reboot, it goes through the boot up screen, says hp and what not then it gets to the part where noramally its black with white letter and boots up, it does this but instead of booting up it says "Master Boot Record Error Press any key", so i do and then it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
i press enter nothing happens it the message appears again.

now hp for this model thought it would be brilliant to not give you a reformat disk, instead they put all the information on the D drive and said here you make the disks and use them when you need too, i never made them, never needed too. Those are for what they call for a full system recovery. when you boot up you can do a system recovery only for windows and not the drivers etc.. well when i do this there's another error

"NTLDR: Fatal Error 32769 reading BOOT.INI"

Alright this computers 3 years old, only been set up for 2 years. no warranty. bought from best buy. i don't know if this is an hp problem or a windows problem

any help is appreciated greatly

i'm currently using my mothers computer (borrowed) so i can keep in contact.

now mind you i was only off the other computer maybe 2 hours when this problem happened and i can't get to the boot up screen, i'm not even sure i can get into safe mode, i have no idea what to do, whether i should message hp or what

:) :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Caffiene_Powered...

The first thing you need to do is try all the options available from the Safe Mode Options screen. Try the "Last known good configuration" option first. There should be an option for Command Prompt on the Options screen, as well.

Is there a floppy drive on this machine?

wannabe1

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Hi Caffiene_Powered...

The first thing you need to do is try all the options available from the Safe Mode Options screen. Try the "Last known good configuration" option first. There should be an option for Command Prompt on the Options screen, as well.

wannabe1

i know what your talking about there's one problem, it doesn't get to that screen

normally it goes to a screen that says enter system restore drive or start windows normally, this is where i'd hit f8 and go to safe mode options

problem is i don't get to that screen

computer won't boot up at all

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 05 March 2006 - 10:48 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
But...Does it have a floppy drive? :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

now hp for this model thought it would be brilliant to not give you a reformat disk, instead they put all the information on the D drive and said here you make the disks and use them when you need too, i never made them, never needed too. Those are for what they call for a full system recovery. when you boot up you can do a system recovery only for windows and not the drivers etc.. well when i do this there's another error

FYI: There has been a resolution to the HP class action suit that covers HP's policy of not having physical backup copies with a PC. You can get the System Recovery CDs from HP now in a few weeks. I'm the web tech for hstreasures.com and all the necessary CDs have been mailed after filing under the class action suit.

Related links:

1) Consumer Defense Resource Group

2) Ed Bott's Windows Expertise » Hidden partition vs. a real Windows CD

3) in need of recovery disk

Haven't read all these and it may not cover your PC if there is a dated cut off.

Ron

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

FYI: There has been a resolution to the HP class action suit that covers HP's policy of not having physical backup copies with a PC. You can get the System Recovery CDs from HP now in a few weeks. I'm the web tech for hstreasures.com and all the necessary CDs have been mailed after filing under the class action suit.

Related links:

1) Consumer Defense Resource Group

2) Ed Bott's Windows Expertise » Hidden partition vs. a real Windows CD

3) in need of recovery disk

Haven't read all these and it may not cover your PC if there is a dated cut off.

Ron

alright before i say thank you and i wait to get the discs for it i have to file a class action suit?
and if so how would i go about doing this

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 06 March 2006 - 03:00 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

No, the suit was filed and won already. If you can hold until I contact the lady at hstreasures.com, who received hers, I'll get what info she has about how she went about receiving her disks. I did not go through and read the info on those pages, but you may find what you need to get your disks.

As I said, it may be time dated. I don't know, but it's worth a shot. It was just last month when the lady got hers so HP has probably been ordered to ship disks to anyone who has a HP (proof needed?).

This may answer your questions better:

Computer Settlement

It covers:

Frequently Asked Questions

1.What is the proposed Settlement about?
2.Who can participate in this Settlement?
3.The Class Relief – What can I get?
4.What is the difference between a hard drive recovery system and a CD-ROM recovery system?
5.How do I submit a claim for Class Relief?
6.How can I exclude myself from the Settlement?
7.How much are the attorneys’ fees?
8.How do I comment on the Settlement?
9.Who is Class Counsel?
10.When and how will the court decide whether to approve the Settlement?
11.When will the Class Relief be distributed?

Ron

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Hi:

No, the suit was filed and won already. If you can hold until I contact the lady at hstreasures.com, who received hers, I'll get what info she has about how she went about receiving her disks. I did not go through and read the info on those pages, but you may find what you need to get your disks.

As I said, it may be time dated. I don't know, but it's worth a shot. It was just last month when the lady got hers so HP has probably been ordered to ship disks to anyone who has a HP (proof needed?).
This may answer your questions better:

Computer Settlement

It covers:
Ron

see i'm not sure if its a mechanical error or not its not booting up

so i'm not sure that may just be programming i suppose but i'm not sure

the in computer system recovery won't work either

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
i just want the computer to work

this Master Boor Record Error is making me think whats going on
hopefully i will be able too fix it

alright i'll read what you wrote and repost later

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Hi Caffiene_Powered...

wannabe1

He asked you a question that you did not answer...class action suits are fine and dandy, but if you want to get your machine up and running, answer the question

If you have a floppy disk, get a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

Boot your pc with it

at the a:\> prompt, type

fdisk /mbr
<enter>

Reboot.

Report back

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

He asked you a question that you did not answer...class action suits are fine and dandy, but if you want to get your machine up and running, answer the question

If you have a floppy disk, get a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

Boot your pc with it

at the a:\> prompt, type

fdisk /mbr
<enter>

Reboot.

Report back

sry i didn't realize he had asked me a question

yes i do have a floppy drive

but i want Win xp home edition like it came with is this possible?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

but i want Win xp home edition like it came with is this possible?

Absolutely! We're just going to try and repair the MBR. (This is the first of several options available to us.)

Download the Win98SE OEM bootdisk and save it to your desktop. Double click the downloaded file and put a floppy diskette in the floppy drive when prompted to do so. This will create the startup disk we'll use for the repair.

We may need to change the boot priority in BIOS for this to work, but let's try it first. Put the Startup Disk you just created into the floppy drive and reboot. If it boots to the floppy and you will see options to "start with cd-rom support", etc...Press Shift + F5 to get a command prompt.

At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk /mbr (Note the space after fdisk), and press "Enter". This should rebuild the MBR...once completed, remove the Startup Disk and reboot.

Any change?

wannabe1

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Absolutely! We're just going to try and repair the MBR. (This is the first of several options available to us.)

Download the Win98SE OEM bootdisk and save it to your desktop. Double click the downloaded file and put a floppy diskette in the floppy drive when prompted to do so. This will create the startup disk we'll use for the repair.

We may need to change the boot priority in BIOS for this to work, but let's try it first. Put the Startup Disk you just created into the floppy drive and reboot. If it boots to the floppy and you will see options to "start with cd-rom support", etc...Press Shift + F5 to get a command prompt.

At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk /mbr (Note the space after fdisk), and press "Enter". This should rebuild the MBR...once completed, remove the Startup Disk and reboot.

Any change?

wannabe1

o you mean the computer i'm on now has one?

no maybe i could use another one of my friends comp and do this

now how will all this effect my computer (the one i'm trying to fix)
will it slow it down because i'm putting all these different os's in it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're not putting anything on the machine...just repairing the MBR. The MBR tells the machine how to boot...it's not actually a part of the operating system. Right now running slow would be a vast improvement, would it not? The machine will suffer no ill effects from this procedure. To the contrary...if it works, the machine will boot up. If not, it's off to Plan B.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 March 2006 - 09:48 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Many people get confused by this -- a win98 boot floppy will fix the master boot record on a windows xp or 2000 machine

the master boot record is OS independent--it has one job and one job only...when the hardware completes its initial hardware scan, it passes control of the machine to the MBR...the MBR then passes control of the machine to the bootsector record (not the same as MBR)

After that is when the various Operating Systems do their magic, but before that were simply talking a little machine code