Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Music skipping/popping

• Please log in to reply

drewdreworld

drewdreworld

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I recently cleansed my computer of all malware and such, in hopes that it would speed up my computer as well as rid me of my music problem. It didn't help me with the music. I'm unsure what to do to fix the problem and was hoping I might find suggestions here. (I was pointed here from the malware forum).

About a month, maybe a month and a half ago, my music started skipping randomly. It plays fine on my iPod, but on both Windows Media Player and iTunes it skips sporatically, every 2-3 seconds or makes a kind of popping sound. It's very aggravating for someone as into music as I am and I would like to hear any suggestions you may have. I attempted to download and install a new driver for my soundcard, but I'm not sure if I got the right one. (probably wasn't the best idea to go on and install it without being positive but I guess I can't go back in time).

If it helps, I'm running on a NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio sound card. Any suggestions would be great appreciated. Thanks in advance :tazz:

Drew

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello drewdreworld!

Go here > in the right pane select platform/nforce drivers > in the middle pane select nforce audio driver > in the right pane select xp > click go and download the driver. Once you've downloaded it uninstall the existing driver and install the new one.

drewdreworld

drewdreworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for the help but it seems its still not better :tazz: Any other suggestions? Is it possible for a virus to attack my music files and do like irreversible damage or something?

Edit: I'm really frustrated with my comp but I have a lot of stuff on my comp. I'm thinking about reformatting a lot and I think it'll help everything a lot. Any suggestions like what I would need to keep or if its worth it and stuff? I've got tons of games and over 2 weeks of music.. I definitely don't wanna lose that and I know I could rip it all to a DVD or something.. would the music issue definitely go away if I reformatted? The speakers play straight from my iPod beautifully.

Edited by drewdreworld, 07 March 2006 - 06:45 PM.

drewdreworld

drewdreworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Anymore suggestions or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

AoM

AoM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi drewdreworld...

I cannot help you but I can totally relate!!!! But I've noticed this happens only on one hard disk out of the three I have... It used to happen on Disk#3 before and now it is happening on Disk#2!!! I can totally understand how aggravating it is because I am into music and I play a lot of videos, mp3s and movies on my comp. This is SO irritating, and I CANNOT figure out what the **** is happening.

This is what I am going through right now:

http://www.geekstogo...ly-t167568.html

Regards,
AoM.