Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change desktop

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Well I downloaded some thing that had a lot of viruses and stuff and my anti-virus caught it, but it was too late. So I scanned every part of my system with Ad-aware and my anti-virus and everything else. Then, I did a repair.

Okay, there is still one issue. I can't change my desktop, I couldn't before the repair nor after. I can't change it to a picture, but I can change it to a solid color. So what's the deal? Any :tazz: ?

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
did you go through the entire spyware removal process? it sounds like there's still some residues[registry values, i think] left...

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Cleanred it all up and then did a repair, scanned again and they found nothing.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Right click the desktop->properties->desktop tab->customize desktop button->web tab

If any of the items are checked, including the box at the bottom called Lock desktop items, UNcheck them. There should be nothing checked in that area.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Right click the desktop->properties->desktop tab->customize desktop button->web tab

If any of the items are checked, including the box at the bottom called Lock desktop items, UNcheck them. There should be nothing checked in that area.

There wasn't. Also, when I first log on, I can see my old desktop, but once everything starts to load, it just goes back to that solid color... Oh also, I did another ad-aware scan, and everytime it gets to some point, I get the blue screen of death... Oh boy... Man, I don't want to reformate. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy Comrade General...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit in the box, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Policies, and click on Explorer. In the right pane, list everything that appears.

Then click on ActiveDesktop (if listed) and list everything in the right pane.

Then click on System and list everything in the right pane.

wannabe1

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Howdy Comrade General...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit in the box, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Policies, and click on Explorer. In the right pane, list everything that appears.

Then click on ActiveDesktop (if listed) and list everything in the right pane.

Then click on System and list everything in the right pane.

wannabe1

Oh well. I just did a reformate, everyone was freaked up anyways. Blue screen here and there... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That'll work...

Kind of an extreme measure to fix a problem that could have been resolved with a small registry tweak, though... :tazz:

As long as it's running and everyone's happy...that's cool! :)

wannabe1

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

That'll work...

Kind of an extreme measure to fix a problem that could have been resolved with a small registry tweak, though... :tazz:

As long as it's running and everyone's happy...that's cool! :)

wannabe1

Yah, but I was having virues/malware. Everytime I did a ad-aware scan and it'd get to a certain file, it'd crash. Same with others...