Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

JavaScript Error

• Please log in to reply

nogard

nogard

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I had a virus.......it killed norton.......the subscription was out, so I uninstalled it.....and downloaded Free AVG, it is now my defult Virus Scanner.......But I am having proplems at some site.......MattF has cleared me of All Malware.....

http://www.geekstogo...0&gopid=588800

I had two web site that would not let me do the Online scan.....the link to the Online scan did nothing when clicked.......I believe it might have something to do with.......the New AVG Virus thing, as this is when the symtoms....appeared.

I tried going to my online banking.........and this is the message I get on a blank while screen........when trying to login, also...

http://www.geocities...p/javaerror.jpg

I have noticed some web pages that re-direct me do not load......Like the Edit button here, I have no option for quick or full........if you click edit....it loads full edit. Also when I tried to add the URL to the link above, by clicking Insert Image, nothing happened........so I had to paste it directly into the text box.

Edited by nogard, 06 March 2006 - 01:14 AM.

Advertisements

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok now I have an Error on this web site........it is pictured in the URL below..........

http://www.geocities...p/pageerror.jpg

What is going on with my Browser......?

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok this may be a double post I hope not, but it may........I get a JavaScript Error when I try and post,

Anyhow.I thought it might have been AVG Free causing my problems, but I uninstalled it this morning, and I am still having the same problems.......I can't login to my bank account, or do any online scans......

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok now I tried to update windows, and all I get is a blank browser..........that says done at the bottom?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello nogard.

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the top-left corner, check the boxes next to Install Windows Script Host and Install VB6 Runtime. At the bottom, click on GO.

When it is finished fixing/installing, reboot your computer. Now go to the Java Download Center. Choose the Online Installation. This will install the latest Java onto your computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 March 2006 - 01:02 PM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
the system resotre....launches but it is blank.......white screen, with header saying System Restore

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Get dial-a-fix anyway, extract it, and run it. But before you do my Java Script fix, do this:

At the bottom, click on Tools. Select Reinstall System Restore. Then click on GO. You may need an XP CD for this.

Restart the computer after fixing.

If you do not have an XP CD, and it needs one, skip this and proceed with the Java Fix. The system restore is just as a precaution, but I doubt any problems will arise from using dial-a-fix.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I downloaded Dial_Fix thingy...ran the "reinstall system restore"...and it rebooted.......it did not fix the problem........still same thing.......blank screen......

then I tried......."Install Windows Script Host and Install VB6 Runtime" did not fix problem.........

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Did you download the latest Java from the Download Center?

http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
no not yet was waiting on your reply to the system restore problem first, and making a backup, of all my data......I will try the Java download........and post a fallow up

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Installing Java cannot hurt your system, so I'm not worried about the system restore right now.

If it doesn't work, I must solve your system restore problem, since we will have to dig a bit deeper. Even if the Java download works, we still need to get your system restore fixed, since this is an important part of windows.

Another thing that may fix the system restore is turning it off and then back on. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the tab that says System Restore. Click on the box next to Turn off System Restore and then click on Apply. After it is done deleting all system restore points and turning it off, UNcheck that box and then click on Apply again. It will turn it back on and create a restore point. Make sure it has at least 6% of the hard drive allocated to it. This can be changed by sliding the bar under Disk space to use.

After doing that, try system restore again.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 March 2006 - 08:29 PM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I tried the turn off.turn on funtion of system restore, and that worked.........and I created a new restore point. Then I checked the Panda online scan........and it launched.......I was also able to log into my internet banking......thats great,

I still have no clue what was done to fix the problem,............I tried to turn off then the system restore back on this morning, and it did not work.........I guess second try.was the charm........I will watch the system and make sure it stays stable.....

One good thing about it is........I have a new backup of all my data...LOL.......which I needed to do anyhow. I did that just incase something real bad went wrong.

Anyhow its working right now.........cross your fingers......

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hmm...I guess you just needed to clean out your old system restores. Either there was a leftover infection in there, or they became corrupted somehow.

Very interesting solution. Glad you're problem is resolved. :tazz:

If it starts up again, let me know