Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't End Process, and Drives Stop Working

• Please log in to reply

eden c

eden c

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, This one might be general, but maby someone has a good idea, first of all I believe I am spy/virus free becoase I have updated microsoft anti spy and mcfree virus.

I have a CD rom and DVD drive installed, and what happens fairly often is they get locked doing something, say playing a cd, a dvd, a game, ect. The program, like ITUNES, WINDVD, or game then freezes (ALMOST ALWAYS ON STARTUP). I can force quit but the drive will then be nonresponsive. Sometimes I can eject the CD/DVD, but I need to restart my system to get full functionality back. The weird thing is it doesnt happen always, and it seems to happen with variouse programs. Any ideas? maby I have master/slave wrong or something.

Second problem is this.
Sometimes a program will become unresponsive much like the aforsaid CD/DVD. The real bad thing is it won't END THE PROGRAM (End process, or end process tree) and I will have to manually turn off the computer and restart to get back normal functionality. THIS IS HAPPENING FAIRLY OFTEN, and I fear it's bad for the equipement to keep turning it off. The DVD/CD problem also sometimes requires a manual turnoff. If I go to restart it sometimes works, sometimes does nothing, and sometimes goes to the shutting down screen but never finishes.

Other than that my computer seems to be running pretty good. Its an ATHLON 3800 With 1 GIG of ram. If anyone has any pointers to make it run smoother, and maby let me turn it off normally, that would be appreciated.

:tazz:

Advertisements