Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP boot trouble

• Please log in to reply

Bycicle

Bycicle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello all,
I'm having troubles booting windows xp pro on a compaq desktop. Now im not very good with computers but i guess thats where your help comes in handy, in any case please bare with me...
about 5 months ago i was casually using my computer to browse online, when i was suddenly attacked with a spyware (which i later found to be PS gaurd due to a red exclamation symbol in my tray). My desktop refreshed about every 10 to 15 seconds , and i was not able to perform a virus scan. So i turned off my computer manualy. When i turn it back on, i get as far as "Windows is starting up...". I have left it to load for a good 30 minutes and nothing happens.
I am able to boot into safe mode fine apparently, and everything seems to be in tact (files, folders ect.) but i still cant boot normally. I'm not exactly sure if this would be an effect of the spyware or not. Very rarely (like 2 times) i have been able to boot into my login screen and my desktop, but the desktop refreshing still ensues and its pretty much impossible to do anything. I really do not know how to go about fixing this problem. I really would prefer not to loose any of my personal files (everything seems to be fine as far as they go anyway).

Any help would be very much apreciated,
thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Please see the Remove Malware & Badware - HiJackThis Logs Go Here of this forum and follow the directions there before continuing.

It is a very busy section so please be patient. There are a lot of steps to cover and, if you follow them thoroughly, your problem will be isolated. Just follow the directions of the Malware Gurus.

Thank you.

Ron