Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup Problems

• Please log in to reply

april_rain

april_rain

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys, I am new to this forum so bear with me!!!!

Am in need of help! I am having major problems with my pc. I am trying to do a master reboot, only thing is when I put the cdrom recovery disk in it loads then states "This computer has no valid information" and will not go any further. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem.

If this helps:

I formated c drive so only starts in dos mode now. Once the above message comes up I press enter and d:\> comes up. My computer will not run anything from my cdrom drive....only floppy disk.

Cheers

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi april_rain...

If you are booting with the Win98 startup disk, choose the option to start with cd-rom support. Then at the command prompt, type d:\setup and press "Enter". If you get a drive error, try e:\setup.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your help but it didnt work. Why wont the pc setup properly. I have to exit oemsetup in order to enter dos mode but then even trying to run from the cd rom or cd r drives doesn't work. Would a scandisk help at all??

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you are trying to use a recovery cd and you formatted the hard drive then you may have formatted the files that were set aside for recovery
Do you have an E: drive

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Peterm. No I haven't got an e drive (will not that I am aware of anyways!!!).

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Go to this site and download the oem boot disk for your version of 98
Bootdisk.com
I do not know whether you have 98 or 98se if you are unsure then take the 98se
save the file to your desktop then put a blank in you A: drive then double click the file
on your desktop this will make a boot disk
Put this in your 98 machine and turn the machine on when you get the option
select start with cd rom support as it does this it will tell you that it has renamed your cd rom
(normally E:) put your cd in the drive and change to the cd drive and do a dir on the cd
what is on the cd? we are looking for any setup files

Edited by peterm, 09 March 2006 - 01:17 AM.

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, thanks for the help but I do not have a a drive (floppy disk drive) attached to this pc (its a laptop). Any other suggestions??? Thanks.

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Have somehow managed to copy from cdrom to floppy disk on my old pc. The boot98se is now on floppy disk but when I try to run it, the pc states. Will not run in dos mode!! I can only run in dos mode. Sorry to be a pain but has anyone got any further ideas! Its driving me mad!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi april_rain...

Are you starting with the bootdisk in the floppy drive? It should boot into DOS if the disk is right. Put the floppy in the drive and restart. See if it boots to an options screen.

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, no when I put floppy disk into drive computer says "invalid system disk" Does this mean that the disk is wrong? I downloaded the boot disk file for windows 98se.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think the disk was created properly. Use a fresh floppy disk...don't put it in the floppy drive until asked by the installer to do so. Double click on the file you downloaded from Bootdisk.com...it will prompt you to "Insert floppy to write"...put the floppy in the drive and click "Ok". This should create the Startup disk.

Then try what I suggested earlier.

wannabe1

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have no floppy drive attached to this pc. Therefore had to save file onto cdrw. Then I somehow managed to copy that file to floppy disk on the old pc. However when I put floppy in to startup it doesn't work! What am i doing wrong?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you round up another machine to create the disk on? Simply copying the file to the floppy wil not create the bootable diskette we need... :tazz:

wannabe1

april_rain

april_rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah I see. So I will have to find someone with a pc with a floppy disk drive? So that the file is saved onto floppy disk in the first place?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Yes