Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can get only SOME URL's since switch to broadband

• Please log in to reply

DASH139383

DASH139383

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just joined the 21st century and switched from dial-up to cable modem. Since the swich, I can get only some of the URL's that can get on dial-up. Here's the situation: (1) This is NOT a firewall issue. I have tried disabling my firewall (Symantec) and the problem persists. (2) This is NOT a browser issue. The problem is the same on all my browsers, including the most recent Firefox. (3) I have changed no settings on anything when I switch between the two methods. (4) I have no filtering software such as parental controls. (5) I am talking about completely tame sites such as google which I can get easily when I go through dial-up but not through my cable modem. (6) On some sites, I can get a portion of the page but not all of it. Banners around the sides load properly but the central portion of the page remains blank.

If I close everything and just go to dial-up (via AOL), everything goes back to normal. If I close my dial-up connection and go in to a browser directly (via TCP-IP) I get only partial service. No settings of any kind are changed in between.

My cable company tech support is hopeless. (This is probably not news.)

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try (just a guess here..)

start > run > cmd > ipconfig /flushdns
then
start > run > cmd > ipconfig /registerdns

all while on your broadband connection

also try clearing out all your temp internet files

DASH139383

DASH139383

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice, dsenette. Alas, it didn't work. Is there a plan B?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Just my two cents.
-delete the dialup conection,including uninstall any software for it, disable the modem
-Reset Cable modem by holding reset button in for few seconds
-reboot computer and run lan set up again.

Had this problem before with older machine. Some how it got confuse and seemed to try to use both conection at the same time. If you leave it long enough or it will freeze off or it gonna run.
Hope this help.