Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not powering on

• Please log in to reply

ecsstatick

ecsstatick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay this morning, I woke up and my computer had shut off. I don't know (but highly doubt) that it was shut off safely. I'm the type of guy that will leave a computer on often and not shut down but like once a week.

Anyways, I'm guessing it's the power supply, but I'm not too sure.

Every once and awhile, before this problem occurred, when I would power on my computer, I would hear a loud rattling noise..as if the fan.. somewhere, was going off the hook or something. I figure it was the fan in the power supply, but wasn't positive.

But anyways.. with that added in..

I've tried like 5 or 6 times this morning to power on my computer.. checked all cables/power outlets..etc.. and everything is fine. I hit the power switch on the computer and absolutely nothing happens. It's as if the computer wasn't plugged in at all.

Just need some input as to whether or not it could be the power supply, as much as I am convinced it is--just curious as to other's thoughts.. and how possible it would be for it to be actually something else?

Thanks for any and all help.
-TJ

Advertisements

ecsstatick

ecsstatick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Also, to add..

(sorry)

When the computer would run fine

Every once and awhile it'd randomly just make some sounds.. like system sounds.. "click..beepclickbeep" type deal.

I had no idea what it was doing.
Another cause, perhaps? or would this be something else?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
through your description it sounds like the PSU bit the bullet....though...without knowing which fan was sputtering...there's no assurances...if you can get another psu to test with it would be very effective...