Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC Component List Help

• Please log in to reply

Sam g

Sam g

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm planning on building a new pc in the very near future and want the best possible system for my needs under $1500. I will be using the system for games, editing large photoshop files, video editing, music, dvd ripping/burning, and internet. Here are the components I was considering. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions because I don't want to buy everything only to discover it isn't compatible.

Case - Antec PERFORMANCE TX TX1050B Black Steel Server Computer Case 500W PSU - $124.99

Hard Drives - 2 Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200 RPM SATA - $125 each ($250)

Motherboard - ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce - $209.99

Video Card - PNY Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - $220

RAM - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 - $159.99

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - $295

Optical Drive - (I already have it) NEC dvd+/-rw

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total - $1259.97

I want to eventually run two video cards in SLI. Do you think I should stick with the Geforce 6800GS for $220 or get a eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT CO SE for $285? Is it just me or does $285 sound a bit too cheap for a 7800GT?

I would prefer not to spend more than the total I've already come up with, but if it really seems like a good deal I will. Please tell me what you think because it's taken me a long time to get enough money and i don't want to feel like I didn't get the best bang for the buck. Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might look into gettng an Opteron 165 just as fast little cheaper and highly overclockable for the future, it has a larger cache which helps with vid and music editing, check out the corsair value ram its usually the cheapest value ram and its the best, but if the kingston is cheaper than its fine.

SLI isnt as practicle doing later on and a single card solution is usually as cheap or cheaper later down the line and since DX10 is coming out this june a single card upgrade is more advisable further down the line when it comes to upgrading time.

Also wouldnt get an ASUS mobo they had a bad rep and we had a ridiculous amount of people with them not working after the christmas build rush.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I notice you've been saying that a lot (asus = bad rep) and I just need to counter that--whoa.

Asus has long had a reputation for quality and stability unmatched by most motherboard makers....so far, you're the only person I see saying that. I am not saying you're wrong, and if they've taken a nose dive in quality it must be a very recent thing because I've never had an issue with an asus board--even the company's cheaper stepson asrock has a solid rep.

Agree on the sli--either you're doing it now, or don't bother and splurge for the better card. Nothing worse than planning on a sli and then not being able to do it because the card you need is no longer available.

Corsair vs kingston--it's all the same....corsair, kingston, crucial--none of these companies make their own ram--well, ok crucial is owned by micron and micron makes it's own ram. I've had exceptional service from Kingston, Corsair and crucial, and if I had to give an edge, I'd probably give a slight edge to Kingston (they paid shipping both ways on my last bad stick)

Overclocking--well, yes, the opteron 165 will overclock quite a bit...but for the most part, if you are not buying the cpu to overclock, then it really does not matter that much which cpu you get.

Sam g

Sam g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The main reason I chose the Asus mobo was because I really liked the last Asus mobo I had.

Would it be better right now for me to get SLI geforce 6800GS or one 7800GT? Which 7800GT do people like?

The reason I picked the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ was because maximum pc said it is great for overclocking and people seem to like that CPU a lot.

Does anyone know if antec cases come with any fans? It has one huge fan for the back but i don't know if it is included or just a slot.

As for hard drives, is all SATA the same or are there different kinds?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
WELL ... the big spate of nad AN8s i have seen on other sites as well we werent alone with the high number of bad boards, and all the tech magazines and sties are fairly constant in saying the there older AMD motherboards were quite bad( i wouldnt know to much ive not been in the "business" long enough to know what the socket As and 754 boards were like)maybe its just my reading material though, however there intel motherboards dont get that stigma and consistently get good reviews and for intel they have consistently excellent rep but for AMD all three of four of the magazines i generally read share the opinion on Asuss poor AMD track record(however most of them gave the AN8 a good review but its lowered in my opinion because of its rather buggy nature when it comes to working out the box.) The AN832 has got better reviews and doesnt seem to have the problems of its vanilla brother but i would rahter trust my motherboard purchase to a company with a better record(and being cheaper helps) so Abit, MSI, DFI gigabyte all have been making AMD boards for a while and have as good if not better performance than the Asus boards and Abit. MSI and Gigabyte are generally cheaper as well.

I mention Corsair as its often cheaper no other reason and it has a lifetime warranty and the XMS stuff has the guarantee overclockability to 250Mhz which is a nice buffer and they arent charging as much for the extra warranty as other companies do.

Depends on the antec case, they usually come with at least one, some will come with the front and rear but alot just come with the rear, it usually says on the site or on a review of the case.

I say opteron as its cheaper or at least it was (prices here have gone through the roof so its roughly the same now here), and its just as fast as the 3800+(not in clockspeed but it has the larger cache to compensate) and if you do plan on overclocking its a sound choice.

For SLI read some reviews on it you will be able to pick which you want but remember that two gfx cards are just another thing to go wrong and performance isnt 100% from the second although the 6800GS is one of the better cards to do SLI with but like i said DX10 is coming out meaning any DX9 cards will be at a disadvantage, i would get one 6800GS now and then see what DX10 cards are about when its released and then either get another GS as after such a short period it will still be viable or better get a DX10 card with the money you saved .