Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no mouse! Help!

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have a Dell desktop, Dimension 3000, Windwows XP Home, under 3 yr warranty, but it looks like just hardware, no service after the 1st year. I am having problems with the DVD-RW drive, I emailed Dell support, and they told me to uninstall and allow reinstall of that drive. It didn't help. They then told me to go into regedit and remove upper and lower limits from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE//CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I was then to reboot. I did. The system came back on, but the mouse no longer responds. I am using an optical mouse, and there is no power to it now (red light is not on). I tried 3 different optical mice, no response. I installed a usb digital mouse, there is power to it (red light is on) but still no response. Just a white arrow cursor frozen in the center of the page, no response.

How in the world do you do ANYTHING on a computer if you can't use the mouse?? All I can do is manually turn it off and reboot. I can get into bios using the F2 key, but all I can find there shows the mouse is ON.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using my backup computer to send this, my main computer is a big paperweight at this point.

Thanks,

Dusty

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Aside from the fact that you will have to use the keyboard to move around on, did Dell tell you to make a Backup of your Registry before editing it? Or even make a Restore point? You might still be able to use a previous Restore point so you'll get your mouse working again if you made no Registry backup.

Ron

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Ron,

Thanks for the response! I am not familiar with using the keys to move around on the computer. Pardon my ignorance here, I would appreciate any help or pointers. I was not told to use a restore point, I do have Acronis True Image on the computer, but can't get to it without the mouse. Is there another way?

Please advise,

Thanks again,

Dusty

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have all the mice that you've tried been usb mice? if so can you try a ps/2 mouse?

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, dsenette,

I just tried a PS/2 mouse, same thing, no response. Do you know anything about moving around the computer using the keyboard? If I could open programs I think I could get somewhere.

Thanks,

Dusty

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Where is the program located..
If its a folder, just use the keyboards arrow keys to highlight the folder and press enter.
Then repeat and repeat until you get to the directory with the program.
OR if its in the start menu, press the Windows Key on your keyboard (or CTRL + Esc if you dont have the WinKey) and use the arrow keys to navigate to all programs>press right>continue till you get to your program and press enter.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Paradox924x,

Thanks for the response. The keys don't seem to be responding either. I have the windows key on the board (Microsoft Natural keyboard), but nothing happens with it or the arrow keys, even when I hold down the windows key and try the arrow keys. I know in bios the keyboard lock is checked. Could unlocking that be any use?

Thanks,

Dusty