Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Internet Security 2005 problem

• Please log in to reply

duhno

duhno

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OK...I'm no genius, and I desperately need HELP!! I recently downloaded and installed the Norton Internet Security 2005 and the Norton Password Manager 2004. This is the first time for me using the Password Manager and I'm not at all clear on it's association with the Internet Security, if it is. I use Windows XP and have seperate user accounts set up for that. When downloading and installing the Norton applications, I was logged on windows under my Administrator account. Here's my problem...when I open the Internet Security and click on the user accounts within, it shows me logged in as the "Owner" instead of the Administrator. It's greyed out and wont let me log off. Is this something that sets automatically or did I somehow do something that made this error of identification? I need to know if someone can assist me with this problem because I am the Administrator and need this setting to be correct within the Internet Security in order to manage the settings of the other user accounts...like the Parental Control and such.
Also, when I start Windows, there is a loading window for the Parental controls that takes forever to complete and it won't go away. I haven't set any parental control, since it won't give me the Administrative rights that is needed for this...what's going on? :tazz:
Is uninstalling both the applications and re-installing them my best option? Again, I did download and install them both...have no CD. Or is there a simple solution to my problem?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Double click the taskbar icon or desktop icon and then press parental control, remove tick.

Every version of NIS seems to create an account which cannot be touched

duhno

duhno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks...I turned the Parental Control off on this account and nothing else changed. I'm questioning uninstalling both applications and just re-installing the NIS for now until I find out the connection linking the 2 of them and all the loops involved.
Also, I'm researching deleting the in-built Administrator account for windows xp... that's the one the NIS, for some reason, is recognizing and setting with, which I do not use. I use the owner account on windows, assigned at set up(with personal name on this account). I have assigned this account Administrative rights also and use only this account.
So...any help or input on this and the possibility of it fixing my problem that way would be of appreciation. Not really wanting or looking forward to uninstalling and re-installing again... :tazz: , dial up stinks!