Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

krunner

krunner

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop will not boot up past the splash screen. One minute it was working fine, the next, dead. I cannot even boot in Safe Mode. All I get is a black screen with a cursor. I attempted to reload Windows and it goes through all the steps and when it finally reboots, same problem. Blank screen with a cursor. Seems like something is corrupted, but not sure what. To make matters worse, when I was attempting to reload Windows the last time, the laptop would power itself off. Am I dead? Should I pull the hd and attempt to recover the data and then reformat? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Keith :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried a win 98 boot floppy and typing in fdisk /mbr ( there is a space between the k and the /). This sound like you have lost your master boot record.

SRX660