Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Create a partition for installing XP

• Please log in to reply

Hockeymotocross07

Hockeymotocross07

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
When I turn my computer on, it says:
"Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter"
So I insert an XP home edition OS CD (note that it is not the CD that came with my computer because I can't find that) After it loads all of the basic drivers it asks me to:

Install XP
Repair XP
or Exit Installation

When I try to install XP, it goes through the User agreement and then it gives me more options:
Instal XP by pressing enter
Create a partition by pressing C
or delete a partion by pressing D

When I try to create a partition it will go into the screen that tells me to allocate a certain amount of space and after I do that i push C, it will not create anything. Nothing happens.

I put in another hardrive and the same thing happens.
I try to boot with a windows 98 hardrive (well a hardrive with windows 98 installed) and the same thing happens. When I put in a slave and a master hardrive it will recognize both, but when I just put in the master hardrive it will not always recognize it. If I put in just a slave hardrive it will always recognize it.
ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME! THANK YOU!
Brad

Advertisements

Hockeymotocross07

Hockeymotocross07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, thanks for the help...

JeRt^

JeRt^

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So I insert an XP home edition OS CD (note that it is not the CD that came with my computer because I can't find that) After it loads all of the basic drivers it asks me to:

Install XP
Repair XP
or Exit Installation

When I try to install XP, it goes through the User agreement and then it gives me more options:

When I try to create a partition it will go into the screen that tells me to allocate a certain amount of space and after I do that i push C, it will not create anything. Nothing happens.

I put in another hardrive and the same thing happens.
I try to boot with a windows 98 hardrive (well a hardrive with windows 98 installed) and the same thing happens. When I put in a slave and a master hardrive it will recognize both, but when I just put in the master hardrive it will not always recognize it. If I put in just a slave hardrive it will always recognize it.
ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME! THANK YOU!
Brad

help me also pls.. email me to diagnose it i try to fix but i can't

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Install XP
Repair XP
or Exit Installation

Try delete a partion by pressing D and then create new partition.

Regards,

Edited by mirjel, 21 June 2008 - 09:34 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Hockeymotocross07 Posted Mar 6 2006, 08:50 PM
Well, thanks for the help...

Please be patien. you are not the only person requiring help. Also this site is run by volunteers AND we do have other jobs.

On to the problem. A disk boot failure could very well be not seeing the hard drive. It could also be you are trying to boot from a floppy (if you have a FD), a network, USB, etc. These choices all reside in the bios as boot devices.

If you going to reformat and load the OS with your friends CD, you will need your key and not his. You should try the "repair"function first.