Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incoming Email Server changes

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am having a problem with my Outlook Express email account and McAfee Spam Killer. I have spoken with both my internet service provider as well as someone at McAfee. My ISP tells me my incoming mail server should be mail.intergate.com. McAfee tells me it should be 127.0.0.1. Every time I go onto OutlooK Express and click on send/receive I get nothing until I go in and change that server to mail.intergate.com. It changes when I get out of Outlook Express, and I have to change it every time I logon again. McAfee gave me instructions to manually set up a POP3 account (intergate) with Outlook Express and Spam Killer, which basically is nothing more than changing that incoming mail server to 127.0.0.1, so I'm right back where I started with no resolution. The weird thing is I have had the same McAfee products installed on this computer since I bought it last fall - the McAfee was all installed on it when I got it - and this problem just started happening in the last 10 days or so. Something has to be wrong here, and I'm not getting anywhere getting this issue resolved. Can anyone help? I would sure appreciate it. I have tried to uninstall and then reinstall the Spam Killer to no avail there. That was one thing I was told to do. I am using Windows XP, Outlook Express version 6, and Spam Killer version 7.0.23. Why would this start happening all of a sudden?

Please help.

S. Gilson

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
my only recomendation is to uninstall spamkiller and not use thier product.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll agree with that.... as 127.0.0.1 is a loopback address (an address of your computer used for testing) there's NO way that having that address as a mail server would get you ANYTHING

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
That's really strange because I spoke with McAfee and they had me uninstall Spam Killer and reinstall it, and had me configure it, and now it works. The incoming mail server DOES show 127.0.0.1. It's beyond me, but I'm just glad it works now.

Thanks for your help!

S. Gilson

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...that's mcaffee for you....."let's think of the most ludicrous method of implementing our software....and run with it!" glad you got it to work though