Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fax component for XP

• Please log in to reply

luckyinlife

luckyinlife

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is probably an old topic to all the experienced geeks......When I try to add the fax component to my XP program, it ask for the file path - even when the original installation disk is in. How do I add it? (note: I am a complete novice)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the way you are doing it

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs under Pick a category.

2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components to start the Windows Components Wizard.

3. In the Components list, click to select the Fax Services check box, and then click Next. Setup installs the Fax services. If you are prompted, insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD, and then click OK.

4. Click Finish, and then click Close.

luckyinlife

luckyinlife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I get to #3, and it begins to install it. It then asks for the file path, at which point I put in the CD, but it does not recognize it and will not finish installing the component. Help!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the CD in the same CD ROM Drive used to install XP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this applies

http://support.micro...kb/884018/en-us

luckyinlife

luckyinlife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith, it certainly appears to address my problem. I will give it a shot tomorrow. It's a little late here in Atlanta, Georgia. Thanks for your help.

Argentina a/k/a Luckyinlife

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's even later in the UK

Hope it goes well